PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-79 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Pontiac newbie questions (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851525)

JPN_GP 06-29-2021 12:17 PM

Pontiac newbie questions

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

New to the thread and to Pontiacs, last year I saved a 1967 Grand Prix from the junkyard for the low low price of $900. It had been sitting a long time in their for sale lot and I suppose they needed the space so if nobody was going to buy it they were going to crush it.

I've made my introductions over in the Lobby but now that I've started putting some time into the car naturally I have a few questions.

First, what areas of the car and components can I look at to confirm the drivetrain is original to the car? I dug a little into it in my intro thread and was able to confirm the engine is a 67 block but didn't get much further than that, although looking at everything I think it may be safe to assume that the drivetrain is factory original.

Second, is there a diagram or resource that shows how the car's sheet metal is welded together? There's a good amount of rust in the rear of the car, the trunk and window gutters as well as the weatherstripping channel are rusted out and will require replacement. I figure with the amount of rust present (I'll have to post a picture) it would be a better course of action to replace big sections by drilling spot welds and removing the panel itself rather than piecing together small sections which I *think* would save me some time and headache.

Also, where would be the best place to put a build thread? Is the Street forum the place or would the 67-79 Big Pontiac Tech be more appropriate?

I think for the time being I'm going to work on the mechanical side of the car as that's what I'm comfortable doing, eventually I'd like to take the body off but I'm limited on space at the moment so that's much much further down the line.

Thanks!

Attachment 568989

Attachment 568990

Attachment 568992

1968GTO421 06-29-2021 12:52 PM

Really am not real knowledgeable on your questions except I generally do mechanical then body and paint so I don't mess up my "pretty" car.
If you have not already discovered it, our spnsor, Ames Performance is one of the largest Pontiac parts houses in the world.......and they have a large, free catalog for your Grand Prix. Phone them or fill out the form on their site. My A-body catalog they sent me is over 336 pages. They also have assembly manuals, shop manuals, etc. for our Pontiacs.

https://secure.amesperf.com/

steve25 06-29-2021 02:30 PM

Drivetrain wise since the GP model is the top of the B body line of pontiacs and it’s base line motor will be a 4 bbl 400 cid motor with the better and new for that year 670 head castings .

Other B body cars of that year came fitted with the 400 motor, but early 67 2 bbl motors came fitted with the 1966 type lesser flowing 389/421 type heads.

The late 67 B body 4 bbl 400 motors that where not in the GP got a 061 casting head.

The optional motor for the GP and I think even the Bonniville was the 428 cid motor fitted with the same casting 670 heads.

Either motor would have the Turbo 400 transmission behind it if not ordered with a 4 speed.

694.1 06-29-2021 06:32 PM

Great find & welcome!

padgett 06-29-2021 07:51 PM

Best way to start is with the factory service manual. Bisko has the 1967 PONTIAC Full Line Body, Chassis & Electrical Service Manual on CD [eb2997N]

I have several Bishko CDs and they are authorized reproductions of the GM factory manuals.

JPN_GP 07-01-2021 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 6261081)
Best way to start is with the factory service manual. Bisko has the 1967 PONTIAC Full Line Body, Chassis & Electrical Service Manual on CD [eb2997N]

I have several Bishko CDs and they are authorized reproductions of the GM factory manuals.

Cheers, I already have a copy that I've been looking through

bdk1976 07-01-2021 10:00 AM

Welcome - that trunk is not bad for a '66 IMO. Depending on what you want to do to the car, you could clean it up and use POR/fiberglass as a temporary/permanent fix.

I would not worry much about matching #'s but would cross my fingers for 400+ cubes to get that beast down the road.

Mark Simiele 07-01-2021 08:59 PM

Neat find and good luck with your project. Not too long ago a PY member had a roof section for sale that would fit your car. You should do a search in the for sale full size parts section.