PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Help With 69 GTO Interior Light Bulbs And Sockets, Ash Tray, Glovebox, Radio, Shifter (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853696)

GOAT8U2 10-04-2021 01:37 AM

Help With 69 GTO Interior Light Bulbs And Sockets, Ash Tray, Glovebox, Radio, Shifter

4 Attachment(s)
I think I have a few correct in my 1969 GTO....

Glovebox (pic 1)
Ash Tray (pic 2)
Trans Shifter (pic 3)
Radio? (pic 4)

Issues...

Trans shifter socket doesn't reach to fit in the display. I gently was tugging on it and I need at least another 4-6 inches. Is there something I'm missing?

The ash tray bulb is just laying in the ash tray. There's a small opening on the left rear of the top of the ash tray itself but the socket didn't fit in their. There's a strange male extending off the socket, it's metal and then at the very end a female copper like opening. WTH?
Where did the bulb and socket go?

The radio bulb, is that even correct or is it just a foot light?

Thanks

dataway 10-04-2021 02:21 AM

The strange fitting on the ash tray light is for the fiber optic cable.

Scott Thelander 10-04-2021 04:09 AM

number 1 looks to be a courtesy light not a glove box lite
number 2 is a fiber optic but it looks to be installed wrong
number 3 you probably need to pull the console and see whats up
number 4 is the lighter light

GOAT8U2 10-04-2021 10:03 AM

Thanks

What does the fiber optic do in this car?

The one light fits in the glovebox so perfectly, but I can see it being another courtesy light.

The lighter light looks like that might fit in the back corner of the ash tray. I'll try soon and reply back.

GOAT8U2 10-04-2021 02:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok got somewhere today..

The shifter socket was being hung up under the dash in a wire connector clamp, got the few inches needed to get it to fit into the display.

What I thought was a glovebox bulb does appear to be another courtesy light for the passenger's foot.

I found another driver side foot courtesy light socket so I'll use that too.

So my question is the current glovebox switch doesn't have a bulb on the back end of it. Opgi has a bulb that does. Seems nice but was the factory glovebox bulb originally like this one below? Mine didn't seem to have a bulb for the glovebox.

https://www.opgi.com/interior-access...y-gl10950.html

Now the trunk light and license plate light, oh boy.

Pic 1 is the loose trunk connector, I think?

Pic 2 is the license plate light, I'll snag a new lamp face and try to get that working but...

Does this only attach if the bumpers off and you sneak it on at the top?

Thanks for your replies, after 25 years I'm finally getting to the small things. I've never really driven the car much at night but I'm almost done with this car after a rough year of restoring it so I've got the bug.

Thanks everyone

Mike

OG68 10-04-2021 06:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ash tray fiber optic feeds from the upper speedometer illumination bulb to the upper ashtray bracket.

GOAT8U2 10-06-2021 12:49 AM

Sorry for all the questions..

Does this fiber optic cable work for us?

https://www.lectriclimited.com/ash-t...ic-wire-106379

What exactly does this do?

If the bulb end goes into the dash, the optic cable goes from the dash socket all the way to the ash tray, then it does what?

It connects to a weird small black tab it looks like, then I'm confused on what's the purpose. LOL

Greg Reid 10-06-2021 02:35 AM

The fiber optic is just a way to provide light without having to mount a bulb. It "borrows" the light from the dash and routes it to the ashtray so you don't dump ashes all over the carpet. Space age stuff at the time..

dataway 10-06-2021 04:07 AM

There are two of them right? One that goes to a little dot on the ignition switch so you can see it in the dark ... or is that totally my imagination?

OG68 10-06-2021 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No its not. Your imagination is still intact... for now lol
The ignition switch FO was optional. Its source was on the opposite side of the cluster above the fuel gauge

Not to sure about the dot you're referring to though.

Here is a photo of the ashtray installation

dataway 10-06-2021 01:24 PM

I know my GTO originally had one, not on the PHS though ... I thought I remembered it shining through a small hole on the ignition switch bezel.

OK .. maybe "I know" is an exaggeration ... "I think I remember" would be more accurate :)

Greg Reid 10-06-2021 04:45 PM

I was going to mention the ignition switch but didn't know if it continued with the steering column switch on the later cars. Both of mine were MIA when I got my present car.

north 10-12-2021 04:20 PM

Ignition switch light was an option on the 68 GTO but not the 69 which used a column switch

All 69 GTO's came standard with:
glove box light With blade switch on the upper left when looking inside from the seated position in the car
ashtray light (fiber optic from gauge cluster)
lighter light (mounts in a steel tube that clips on top of lighter housing with a pin hole)
Dome light (no reading light option in 69)
courtesy light(s) one bulb under the dash above the transmission hump unless the car had AC (or sometimes an 8 track) then there were two, one at each end of the dash.
under dash courtesy light

north 10-12-2021 04:26 PM

Generally speaking door activated lights (dome, courtesy) have a set of wires (white and orange). Dash cluster related lights (tied to dimmer) like ashtray, cigarette lighter, console shift indaicator etc have a single gray wire.

Looking at your four original pics it looks like in picture one that they took a courtesy light and cut a hole in the glove box to light the glove box (probably the original glove box door switch broke). Picture 4 is the bulb housing for your lighter light.

Greg Reid 10-12-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north (Post 6286578)
Picture 4 is the bulb housing for your lighter light.

And there should be a bullet shaped deal with a small hole in the end that the pictured housing nests in. The bullet shaped deal has a clip that snaps onto the outside of the lighter. They are both in the drawing that Ed posted above. Numbers 4 and 5 on the drawing, right above the ashtray.

GOAT8U2 10-21-2021 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick update..

Glovebox bulb was just missing, I felt inside the hole and noticed it had a socket. Took out the box screws (can't find nice new black ones so I'll go to Ace Hardware and see what I can match) and there it was.

I'm doing a cool blue for the dash and front courtesy lights. BS9a fit great, pic 1.

Issue = light doesn't turn off??
This bulb should be on the accessory and yet it's on all the time. Gotta figure out why the bulb is constant hot. Now I know why it went missing, someone tweaked something and didn't bother to fix it.

OG68 10-21-2021 01:17 AM

Glovebox light circuit is always hot or on the battery circuit. Same circuit (orange wire) as the clock IIRC.
Sometimes the switch housing may need to be adjusted outward if the glovebox door doesn't fully depress the switch. Or the glovebox door may need adjusting.

GOAT8U2 10-21-2021 01:38 AM

Thanks that was it, the glovebox is tweaked in the upper left corner and didn't really touch the male of the switch.

Thanks, this websites great, I post a problem and 30 minutes later I go out to my car and fix it.