PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Who Still uses EBAY? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864852)

Lemans64 02-22-2023 12:09 AM

Who Still uses EBAY?

Have been looking the odd time to see if anybody had some decent 64 Grills for sale, then I seen a set with headlamp bezel, starting price 100. HMM Not bad. Did seem to be a Nice set, although black looked to be semi gloss instead of satin? I lost out to the high bid of 230. Should have bid higher but with shipping to Canada by postal service I figured they would be pretzels by time I got them.
Seems there is the odd deal out there still. Then there is the guy that wants 500 for a Damaged set.

OG68 02-22-2023 12:39 AM

Deals can be had if you know what you’re looking for and have patience.
Some sellers have no idea what they have or its value. But that goes both ways. Either overpriced by a factor of ten or underpriced.

dataway 02-22-2023 02:17 AM

Yep, patience is the key ... and setting it up so it sends you notices of when new items you are looking for are posted. Frequent checking is key. Just like a swap meet you have to put in the leg work.

Half-Inch Stud 02-22-2023 09:18 AM

Town car parts, Beer cans and vacuum tubes. Ludicrous pricing on Pontiac parts and HiFi.

carbking 02-22-2023 09:27 AM

Great place to shop because of the cheap prices.

Horrible place to vend! (because of the cheap prices)!

Seems like most buyers are now treating ebay like the corner garage sale (if I can't buy it for 10 cents on the dollar, I won't).

When buying, just be careful, as MANY items are misrepresented.

Jon

JSchmitz 02-22-2023 10:14 AM

I still buy there. Good deal to be found. Caveat emptor. Selling is another story. Fees are a lot higher than they used to be.

Mr Anonymous 02-22-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud (Post 6409858)
Town car parts, Beer cans and vacuum tubes. Ludicrous pricing on Pontiac parts and HiFi.

I'm working on my old R390A, and after lots of tube checking probably tonight, i see myself cruising ebay for a handful. Poor old girl has two dozen! Took them all out last night except for the rectifier ones that i already checked. One of them was bad, but we suspect something took it out as collateral damage.

tom s 02-22-2023 11:47 AM

I still buy on ebay but if a valuable part to you just use Esnipe and bid what is worth to you.I just got a NOS 62 4 speed console part.To me it was worth $500.I put my bid of $511.99 on Esnipe and got it for $413.There were 21 people watching it so I figured they were all going to bid at the last second to try to get it.I asked the seller if he had a buy it now price in mind but he said they dont end auctions early.Tom

mgarblik 02-22-2023 12:30 PM

I am an E-Bay buyer. I have had very little trouble with items I have purchased. But I try to be careful and know what I am getting. Just this week I purchased a painted bumper cover and a painted fender and HID headlight module from E-Bay. All came undamaged and with decent matching paint. No idea how good a deal it is for the sellers, but as a buyer, I am pretty satisfied.

61-63 02-22-2023 12:32 PM

What Tom and carbking said use esnipe and know what you are looking at. Every once in awhile someone will put a valuable or rare item on there for a ridiculously low buy it now price and if you are lucky enough to see one of those don't hesitate; buy it.

71GP76TA 02-22-2023 12:44 PM

I buy on ebay all the time. I quit going to swap meets. I end up buying junk that I don't need just to be buying something. Rarely if ever find something that I need at a swap meet.

kingbuzzo 02-22-2023 01:06 PM

I sold a few vehicles on there now and buy the odd gadget.

Shipping to Canada is a horrible experience since they ship it to their centralized depots - takes forever...mite as well be China

ta6point6 02-22-2023 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Swap meets and junkyards are still the best places to buy parts to resell in my opinion. Went to the CO parts swap meet a few weeks back and bought a few great items cheap. I bought a 78 truck gauge cluster with tachometer for 50. There was a Pontiac engine uncut shaker, air cleaner and hood for 300. I was going to offer the guy 200 just for shaker and air cleaner but waited to long. I bought a 79-81 steering column for 50 and also a 78 Corvette ETR radio with CB for 75. I recently bought this 47 Nash gauge cluster from junkyard for 25. I sell and buy on Ebay all the time and have had very little if any troubles. I will say I longer take returns on stuff I sell on eBay because some people are just hard to please. Ebay still will protect the buyer if I misrepresent an item even if I say no returns as it should be. Any item I have ever bought from Ebay has been exactly what I ordered every time. Ebay has the largest inventory of items and parts and at reasonable prices if you do your due diligence and look.

tom s 02-22-2023 02:27 PM

Seems like if you wait long enough parts will come up.I waited for 12 years to find a NOS 63 Lemans fuel door.Esnipe got it for me as there were a few real bidders on it.FWIW,Tom

hurryinhoosier62 02-22-2023 02:59 PM

Tom, I’ll have to check our esnipe. Still looking for a’64 GP gauge cluster.

tom s 02-22-2023 03:20 PM

Esnipe wont help you find the part,only AFTER you find it!Tom

geeteeohguy 02-22-2023 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71GP76TA (Post 6409916)
I buy on ebay all the time. I quit going to swap meets. I end up buying junk that I don't need just to be buying something. Rarely if ever find something that I need at a swap meet.

I agree. Went to Turlock a few years ago to pick up a vintage white Hurst 4 speed shift knob for the Corvette...not a single one out of hundreds of vendors. And the same, overpriced '56 Chrysler parts I've seen at the same vendors for the past 20 years, still unsold, but much more shelf-worn.
I ended up picking up the 55 year old Hurst curved 9" shifter with the white ball on ebay and have been enjoying it ever since.

lilgto 02-22-2023 05:13 PM

Hi Lemans 64
I have several sets of 64 grills. reason being i restored a 64 gto a few years ago and kept buying them until i got the best set to use on my car. Honestly most of them were in so so shape and needed work, but not bad. i also have sets of head light rims. If you would like to see what i have just email me and i would gladly send you pictures. my email is....lilgto@earthlink .net. They are just sitting in my shed and i would love to see someone that needs them own them. regards Gene

Vroom_vroom 02-22-2023 05:32 PM

Scored my gauges and dash bezel off there for a good price this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesq 02-22-2023 07:39 PM

I buy off of ebay, they are much more friendly to the buyer than the seller.
I have had good luck "making an offer" on odd items I needed (or wanted....)

James Q