PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   GTO Restoration #3 (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866501)

RedDirtRoad 05-08-2023 10:34 PM

GTO Restoration #3

3 Attachment(s)
So I sold my Tyrol Blue/Parchment GTO back in
November to help me fund a new workshop I like to build this summer.
I missed the restoration process and missed the car.
Fast forward to last week and I spot a 67 GTO in the backyard of a house a mile away.
It wasn’t really for sale but after a quick chat with the owner we made a very fair deal for us both of us.
Picked this up today and will begin another frame off restoration similar to my 2 past threads on here.
The car is 100% complete and original with 30k documented miles
It’s my therapy and love this stuff

1965gp 05-09-2023 12:14 AM

Very nice project!

RedDirtRoad 05-09-2023 06:36 AM

I think I will be an easy restoration. Car seems to be solid at first glance
Once I tear it down I will know better.
From what I can see so far the rear quarters, trunk and floor look good.

ZeGermanHam 05-09-2023 12:11 PM

Congrats on the new project, Dominic! Pretty neat to find a complete and original GTO with such low miles practically in your back yard. It was meant to be! You do your restoration projects the right way, so I'm very excited to see this one unfold. Fun times ahead.

Best,
Karl

4dblnkldude 05-09-2023 01:45 PM

Therapy indeed!

RedDirtRoad 05-09-2023 07:32 PM

Thanks Karl
Looking forward to dissecting this original car and documenting the process.

b-man 05-09-2023 08:34 PM

As much as I’m a ‘64 fan I think the ‘67s are the prettiest GTOs. So cleanly styled with the absolute minimum of body seams and emblems, the rear end styling on them simply can’t be beat. Those incredible stainless rocker mouldings that accentuate the Coke bottle styling are icing on the cake.

Looks like a super-solid restoration candidate, I’m sure you’ll have fun with it. :)

Bart

Sloan66 05-10-2023 09:39 AM

Great find! Will be following!

Greg Reid 05-10-2023 01:31 PM

Nice score. So, this is the S code car you mentioned in the other thread?

RedDirtRoad 05-10-2023 04:33 PM

Thanks Guys
Yes Greg, originally a Champagne car
Most likely going back to that since the car is so original

Goatboyjohnny 05-10-2023 06:55 PM

The best kind of therapy, congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

fyrffytr1 05-10-2023 10:13 PM

I eagerly await pictures as you make progress with this one.

roy381 05-11-2023 08:29 AM

Subscribed, I'll be following. Good luck with the restoration.

RedDirtRoad 05-12-2023 06:48 PM

Placed a parts order today
Once my parts arrive I can start the disassembly
process

ZeGermanHam 05-12-2023 07:55 PM

Woohoo!

gtospieg 05-12-2023 08:36 PM

following....

mf67gto 05-16-2023 11:53 AM

Congrats on this find close to home Dominic. I know this thread as well as ZeGermanham's are going to be motivating me as I start my '67 Restomod. Subscribed.

RedDirtRoad 05-24-2023 10:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
All parts have arrived and began to strip the paint off the car. Car is pretty solid so far
Passenger side front fender was replaced at one time cause the original paint color was white. As a result I see the heal of the fender is rotted so I will have yo use a patch panel. I rather go that route then a repro fender.
No body filler in the panels I stripped so far
The rear quarters still have the studs that hold the
Mounding clips
Trunk is solid too

RedDirtRoad 05-24-2023 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found paint stripper with methelyne chloride in it that was banned by the EPA a few years back. The new stuff just doesn’t cut it and takes 3-4 applications just to remove 1 coat of paint.
In case you are wondering, yes the car will be totally stripped of all mouldings, glass and trim work
And placed on a rotesserie. Just getting the bulk of the paint off when the car is together since it’s easier than stripping body panels on a work stand.

6d7gto 05-25-2023 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad (Post 6429429)
All parts have arrived and began to strip the paint off the car. Car is pretty solid so far
Passenger side front fender was replaced at one time cause the original paint color was white. As a result I see the heal of the fender is rotted so I will have yo use a patch panel. I rather go that route then a repro fender.
No body filler in the panels I stripped so far
The rear quarters still have the studs that hold the
Mounding clips
Trunk is solid too

If you haven't patched one of these before, be sure to keep the original lower body line and the original brace intact if at all possible. Also, repro patch panels are lousy at best. Try to find an original lower heal from a donor car for patching is my recommendation.