PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Port injection on a Performer (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851966)

Formulabruce 07-20-2021 03:02 AM

Port injection on a Performer

Has anyone had a Performer intake milled and drilled for port injectors?
Just curious as I think all the single plane intakes that come ready are to high for a STOCK Shaker or Formula hood ( 70-75 ).
Looking for efficiency on all cylinders, low end TQ, all in at 2400,
and fuel economy.
I can, and have done this with a carb, but curious if Its possible to get the engine to run cleaner, or more even on all cylinders.
Thanks, FB.

Scott65 07-20-2021 06:33 AM

I don't have the answer to your original question. But its worth mentioning that the Torker 2 version of Edelbrocks port efi manifold (called a Victor efi I believe) may fit with the shaker as dry throttle bodies are significantly shorter than carbs.

max 93 07-20-2021 07:19 AM

I am in the process of installing the Pro Flo 4 and the height is the same as the factory intake and q jet

Scott65 07-20-2021 07:53 AM

I think you could probably have a good running engine with the Performer. One thing to keep in mind is injector rail height. That could possibly impact using the shaker air cleaner assembly? The Victor efi uses shorter injectors and lays them over at a slight angle, making the rail height less of an obstruction. I think the different height ports of the dual plane would prevent using that method. Let us know if you try it, and what the results are.

Steve C. 07-20-2021 09:21 AM

Consider a Tomahawk manifold that it the same height as a factory intake. Injector pads cast in.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...tegory:1234847

Steve C. 07-20-2021 10:27 AM

Side note, I linked Butler info for the Tomahawk only because there was a picture available on his website. Keep in mind there are other sources, example I buy parts from Paul Knippen on occasions. He has very good prices.

Tom Vaught 07-20-2021 01:12 PM

The Tomahawk intake with the flow improving mods BEFORE they were cast up were some
really nice intakes for flow and distribution as well as a lower height.

A very good intake for a water to air inter-cooler inside a old Vortech pressure box.

Tom V.

ta man 07-20-2021 01:13 PM

I would use a Torker 2. I'm not an engineer but I like the more even length runners.

Formulas 07-20-2021 02:44 PM

Not to mention drilling and welding in bungs for a injector will be a piece of work due to different approache Angle's at the intake / head interface

Just a load of extra work and engineering with no hope of outdoing a tomahawk or T2

Skip Fix 07-20-2021 04:34 PM

The EFI Torker II has an angle on the injectors requiring shorter PICO injectors or the fuel rails hit the plenum.

tom s 07-20-2021 08:10 PM

What about the Holley SD single plane,stock height.Tom

b-man 07-20-2021 08:17 PM

Doesn’t the Performer mount the carb at a different angle as compared to a stock intake?

Pretty sure the shaker scoop will not look right or seal against the hood correctly with the Performer.

Tom Vaught 07-20-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulas (Post 6266003)
Not to mention drilling and welding in bungs for a injector will be a piece of work due to different approache Angle's at the intake / head interface. Just a load of extra work and engineering with no hope of outdoing a tomahawk or T2

We did a lot of work on Injector Placement and angle in the runner at one time and after a 3 year study with a bunch of dyno testing, there was a slight improvement, in Emissions depending on the swirl and tumble designed into the head.

With the hot rod stuff we found you could put the injector at basically any angle (even upward) and it made minimal difference in power which is why people "stack injectors" (one above the other) as the flow of the upper one just adds more fuel to the mix under power. At Low speeds the lower injectors if sized correctly let the engine run cleaner when not at full power and boost. The average intake manifold injector placement would make little difference in power and it is better to have a clean fuel rail design feeding the injectors vs being too close to a heat source.

Tom V.

Gary H 07-20-2021 09:00 PM

Look at the Speedmaster intakes. They offer a single plane intake with bungs already in place. It says right on their web site that it is the correct height to run a shaker air cleaner

amcmike 07-20-2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Fix (Post 6266034)
The EFI Torker II has an angle on the injectors requiring shorter PICO injectors or the fuel rails hit the plenum.

LS3 injectors would work as well.

67Fbird 07-21-2021 07:57 AM

I made my Torker II eif back in '08. That takes a minute....lol back then there were no "off the shelf" injector ready things for PONCHO's. So consider its NOT just the intake but the fuel rails and some kind of retention. The PICO injectors are a godsend as the TALL ones would be a nightmare for interference when mounted VERTICAL.

MOST all throttle bodies are THE SAME height as a carb.

There are MANY ways around intake height and a SHAKER... ;)

Scott65 07-21-2021 08:26 AM

That's simply untrue about most all throttle bodies being the same height as a carb.... Perhaps it would be true of those with injectors in them. But since the OP is talking about port injection he doesn't need one of those.

Steve C. 07-21-2021 09:26 AM

As noted it's this type of throttle body. I used this Holley unit as an example:

https://www.holley.com/products/engi.../parts/112-577

Also note on some the 4500 style are shorter than the 4150 style

Scott65 07-21-2021 09:39 AM

https://www.jegs.com/i/FAST/244/3076...hoCI5cQAvD_BwE
FAST, reduced height

Tom Vaught 07-21-2021 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Example of a Victor EFI and Billet Throttle Body with ability to fit under a typical hood but then you need to start looking at Shaker Air Cleaner height vs top of distributor cap wiring.

Tom V.