PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Where do buy paint? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858482)

rasilverbird 05-04-2022 09:28 AM

Where do buy paint?

I'm getting halfway decent with my spray gun, and while I will still try to get a professional to paint my car, I'm going to keep my options open. That said, where do you go to buy original paint colors?

78w72 05-04-2022 09:50 AM

at a local automotive paint supply store. most cities should have a couple stores that supply body shops & carry name brand paints that have original paint codes.

rasilverbird 05-04-2022 12:10 PM

Is enamel what everyone is using these days? I haven't painted a car in 25 years.

jww 05-04-2022 12:39 PM

Two stage( base coat/clear coat) predominately followed by single stage urethane if it is a solid color

rwfisher 05-04-2022 01:17 PM

Some shops prefer to do their own mixing using a preferred paint line. If you have it done professionally you will need to find out what they have for options..

Bobs66gto 05-04-2022 06:33 PM

we use sherwin williams a little expensive but nice to work with
there is also a company called tamco cheaper but very nice finish
and also easy to spray

roger1 05-05-2022 07:25 AM

I buy all my custom color paint from Auto Rod Technologies.
http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/c...aint-and-audio

They carry both Automotive Art and Wanda paint. Both of these are top quality and I've used them both. They are also an SPI dealer and SPI clears are compatible with basecoats from both Automotive Art Motobase and Wanda. I always use SPI Universal Clear.

Depending on the order, shipping may be free. Shipping is always free if you add any SPI products to the order.

That said, if you do end up using a professional to paint your car, I think it would be best to let him use the products he is familiar with but make sure he uses a top tier paint from a quality brand.

JSchmitz 05-05-2022 09:09 AM

Summit Racing has good prices on paint. I bought some black acrylic urethane for my dash.

Dadspackard 05-05-2022 09:19 AM

I agree with Roger and second purchasing from Chad.
He is the shop I purchased most of my paint supplies when I restored the 1931 Packard.

MUSLCAH 05-05-2022 10:47 AM

Use a well known paint brand if your going to sink a ton of time into doing body work . All these pop up paint lines just scare the crap out of me. Stick with the Brands that have been around the block. Nexa AutoColor,..PPG…Dupont… Unless your painting a wheel barro.w..

dataway 05-06-2022 01:09 AM

Chad was also my source for paint. Used Automotive Art Verdora Green, and ordered my SPI products there.

dhutton 05-06-2022 08:13 AM

Another vote for Chad. No need to fear Motobase, Wanda and SPI.

Don

HoovDaddy 05-06-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSLCAH (Post 6340029)
Use a well known paint brand if your going to sink a ton of time into doing body work . All these pop up paint lines just scare the crap out of me. Stick with the Brands that have been around the block. Nexa AutoColor,..PPG…Dupont… Unless your painting a wheel barro.w..

Highly agree. I've been building/painting for 50 years with all the different technologies. I've always used PPG top tier products. The only thing I deviate in the past 20 is SPI Epoxy. I've got jobs out there that I completed 20 years ago that still look as good as the day I completed them. Prep it right, and use good proven products. Just because it sprays good and polished nice. You can't always base overall product performance on a job completed 6 months or 5 years ago.

MUSLCAH 05-06-2022 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoovDaddy (Post 6340291)
Highly agree. I've been building/painting for 50 years with all the different technologies. I've always used PPG top tier products. The only thing I deviate in the past 20 is SPI Epoxy. I've got jobs out there that I completed 20 years ago that still look as good as the day I completed them. Prep it right, and use good proven products. Just because it sprays good and polished nice. You can't always base overall product performance on a job completed 6 months or 5 years ago.

Every day ..for the last 47 years here…lol

400 4spd. 05-06-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSLCAH (Post 6340298)
Every day ..for the last 47 years here…lol

Me too.

TxSportCoupe 05-06-2022 10:10 AM

Lesonal. Troy, Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rasilverbird 05-18-2022 03:42 PM

Thanks All!

rasilverbird 07-29-2022 02:43 PM

Bumping this thread: So I reached out to Chad, hopefully they can help me out.

In the meantime, has anyone ever used these guys? https://www.shop.thecoatingstore.com...GTO-L-CKIT.htm

It's nice that they have spelled out the exact paint I need, but the sample they show looks too dark and gray. I know paint chips on the computer aren't always accurate, but this seems pretty far off. Was curious if anyone had any feedback on them.

I'll use Chad if he can get me what I need, but am looking at backups.

Formulabruce 08-12-2022 04:55 PM

Keep in mind that 99.99 % of pictures are in " HDR". ( High dynamic resolution). These pics are posted on the web pages too.. Any doubts, take a pic of a new car, sun at your back, and instantly compare the pic on your smartphone, to the car. You will find the picture more rich in color and contrast greater with background.
The ONLY solution is spray out cards, OR, What I do is buy the BIG Metal car Shapes , and seal, base and clear them to get a good look and move them from sun to shade to see if the paint " falls asleep". Also set them side by side or sit them near an original paint air horn ( rear of fender, under the fender where paint can't fade) .
The coating store " sample" is taken off a touch up website and so, you are right, it is way off. Ask for a few oz of base for a spray out.. clear with any 2k repair clear just for color compare.

RedDirtRoad 08-17-2022 06:27 AM

I prefer Sikkens