PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Race (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=419)
-   -   66 big Pontiac accessory question (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863051)

Zooguy 11-24-2022 02:28 AM

66 big Pontiac accessory question

Has anybody made a bracket or can they show where they've taken out the power steering pump and relocated the alternator down low on a 1966 full size car.

I'm going to start chief executive I'm wanting to put a roots blower on. And I'm thinking it might be easiest to get rid of the power steering and alternator bracket assembly and just relocate the alternator down lower to make room for the blower belt. I would also be looking at converting from power steering to a manual steering box. Does somebody make a steering box that can be mounted on the car with a better turning ratio so you can still steer a little easier without power steering?

Zooguy 11-24-2022 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is going to look cool once it's all done.

25stevem 11-24-2022 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If your Alt is up on the drivers side of the motor like my 70, I had no problem with mine and my ps staying right where they where stock.

While the Alt is not in this photo you can see how far the drive is away from where these items mount.

Zooguy 11-25-2022 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25stevem (Post 6388859)
If your Alt is up on the drivers side of the motor like my 70, I had no problem with mine and my ps staying right where they where stock.

While the Alt is not in this photo you can see how far the drive is away from where these items mount.

It looks like the belts would get in the way

25stevem 11-25-2022 07:07 AM

Your drive pully sits much further back towards the case snout then mine does.

Is your pully 3" wide, or two inch?

242177P 11-25-2022 09:30 AM

You need to figure out what belt drive will work for you versus trying to build the rest of the car around existing parts. Case in point, snouts come in different lengths. And case sizes matter too. What works for a 6-71 SBC won't necessarily work on yours. I'd start by mocking things up, and I'm not talking about setting it on the hood. Do you have a Pontiac blower intake already? First thing you might look for is distributor clearance. Changing the front plate/snout seems almost like a foregone conclusion.

Zooguy 11-25-2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25stevem (Post 6389031)
Your drive pully sits much further back towards the case snout then mine does.

Is your pully 3" wide, or two inch?

The floor hasn't been converted yet that's just a random pulley I had sitting in front of the blower it's not even connected it's just sitting here lol

Zooguy 11-25-2022 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 242177P (Post 6389039)
You need to figure out what belt drive will work for you versus trying to build the rest of the car around existing parts. Case in point, snouts come in different lengths. And case sizes matter too. What works for a 6-71 SBC won't necessarily work on yours. I'd start by mocking things up, and I'm not talking about setting it on the hood. Do you have a Pontiac blower intake already? First thing you might look for is distributor clearance. Changing the front plate/snout seems almost like a foregone conclusion.

I didn't know blower snouts came in different lengths and no I do not have an intake manifold yet because I'm not 100% sure if I'm going with a Pontiac motor or if I'll use the 454 Big block Chevy I already have in the garage. I know there's lots of variables still out there yet to be determined so I'm asking hard questions. But hopefully I can learn more information to make better decisions.

BILL BOWMAN1 11-25-2022 06:53 PM

I would buy a kit, all that stuff is figured out.