PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   sideways pictures (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854942)

67Fbird 11-30-2021 10:10 AM

sideways pictures

Ok been searching thru here looking for a FAQ on how to make pictures turned correctly???? argh.
Is there some secret squirrel handshake or something? :noidea:

Shiny 11-30-2021 12:59 PM

I don't think there is any magic. I don't know for sure but assume it's just the forum software not handling "EXIF" tags in the image files well.

Maybe if you share more details about the steps you use to post images, someone that has a similar process can share their "workaround".

For example...

I view the forum in the Edge browser on a Windows 10 PC. I capture images with a Samsung cell phone or an older digital camera and store them in the cloud on Onedrive.

I upload into PY and preview before posting. If the image isn't rotated correctly in the preview, I remove it, then open the same image on my PC, typically using the "Photos" program. This program ALWAYS handles the EXIF data fine and rotates as needed. I then make a minor edit like changing the size just a little. I then save the same image again...basically overwriting the same file on my PC or in the cloud. This fixes it for me.

Yes, it is a pain and I'd love to hear how to avoid it. I'm sure others have simpler solutions...

David Jones 11-30-2021 01:14 PM

Loading from an Apple product? While the photo is in the device, click edit and then rotate the photo 1 degree. Save. Done, the photo will no longer be sideways.

padgett 11-30-2021 02:06 PM

With Windows can rotate with Paint. Also Adobe reader can right click on the photo/page and rotate is an option.

Shiny 11-30-2021 02:09 PM

That makes sense, thanks.

I guess if I did that "pro-actively" before I upload it would save me from uploading twice!

Doh! :o

Editing on a PC is no different. Open it up, rotate or resize, save.

carbking 11-30-2021 03:40 PM

I have the same problem on some forums, including this one.

NEVER have the problem on my own website, and do the pictures the same way.

After spending way too much time (I used to post the picture, see what it looked like, and then would rotate and repost, and sometimes it would then be upside down ), I finally gave up, and just post. If it is sideways, and you want to see it normally, either lie on your side or turn the computer up on its end!:p

Jon.

ta6point6 11-30-2021 04:13 PM

On the Iphone it depends on which way you have phone pointed vertically or horizontal when taking a picture. What I do is just hit edit and then use the crop feature to cut out some of the background. The I will post picture and it will usually post correctly after using the crop feature.

Stuart 11-30-2021 04:25 PM

There was a recent discussion on potential fixes here: https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=854587

pontiacstogo 11-30-2021 04:50 PM

If you're on a PC, you can simply right click on the photo in file explorer and click rotate right or rotate left. No need to edit the image at all.

67Fbird 12-01-2021 11:56 AM

I typically take pic with ANDROID phone....send myself e-mail=all good
then save to computer = still good
upload to albulm = BAD?????

Guess it's just one of those things... :(

Stuart 12-01-2021 12:01 PM

I have no experience with cell phone photos, but on a computer do the pictures look correct? You should be able to rotate them on your PC using whatever program you have on it (Paint, etc.) Open the picture, rotate it as necessary and then save it. Then try uploading them here.

When you take a picture with a phone or a digital camera, the device stores the orientation of how you held it in what's called Exif data. There may be a way to adjust that Exif data on your phone, I know I can do it with my camera.

Shiny 12-01-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Fbird (Post 6299129)
I typically take pic with ANDROID phone....send myself e-mail=all good
then save to computer = still good
upload to albulm = BAD?????

Guess it's just one of those things... :(

Cell phones save the image files with a code to tell up from down.

PCs read the code, display them correctly.

The forum software doesn't read the code so they go sideways.

Rotating a degree or shrinking on a PC changes the code when the file is saved. Up is now up in the new file and all is well.

IMO, the fix needs to happen in the forum upload software.... would be interesting to know why it hasn't.... but I'm happy it works as well as it does and is supported by our sponsor.