PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-66 Big Pontiac TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=428)
-   -   62 full size tripower vacuum canister mounting location (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769682)

winger514 02-15-2015 12:00 AM

62 full size tripower vacuum canister mounting location

I've asked before, but I need some help. I have a 62 GP that's an original tripower, automatic car. I'm trying to restore the vacuum linkage. I have everything done (thanks to Jon Havens), but I am not absolutely sure where the vacuum canister mounts. I can't find any decent photos of one mounted. I've got both the OPGI replacement canister and what is supposed to be an original canister (although, after some research, I think it's for a 59-60 which mounted near the firewall on the driver's side, not near the radiator on the passenger's side on the 61-62s. There are two holes low on the passenger's inner fender well that I always assumed was where the canister mounted, but now I'm not so sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated:usa2:

Engine-Ear 02-15-2015 11:31 AM

REQUEST FOR IMAGES from original 3x2 Automatic '62s

Subscribed. I, too, am interested in knowing!

Stuart 02-15-2015 12:03 PM

A canister on the driver's side near the firewall may have been a vacuum reservoir for power brakes.

If 1962 is like 1961, the tripower vacuum canister mounted on the passenger side inner fender down low and towards the front next to the radiator (you can see the radiator drain petcock in this photo as a reference for where it's located.)

http://image.hotrod.com/f/41879794+w...e-canister.jpg

edit: I'm not sure the canister in this photo is an original one - if I recall correctly, the canister on my car had ribs - it looked like a can of Hi-C orange juice. :) However, I took it off 20 years ago and it's been in a box in the attic ever since so my memory is fuzzy on the details.

Engine-Ear 02-15-2015 02:33 PM

Stuart: the '62 Power Brake vacuum 'can' is tucked under the remote fender-mounted mirror, mounted to the LH inner fender well.

Stuart 02-15-2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine-Ear (Post 5358258)
Stuart: the '62 Power Brake vacuum 'can' is tucked under the remote fender-mounted mirror, mounted to the LH inner fender well.

That's what I meant (I didn't describe it very well), so the PB can is in the same spot for both years.

winger514 02-15-2015 11:17 PM

thanks

You are both right, the PB canister is partially under the driver's fender, mounted on the inner fender. It is basically square, not round. The 59-60 Tri power canister was mounted in that location, don't know what they did with the PB canister.

Stuart, do you know if the canister mounted to the frame, or to the inner fender? I saw that same photo from Performance Pontiac, but can't figure out where it actually bolted on.

Engine-ear....you going to be at BPOC in Kane Co on the 22nd? If so, I catch up with you there. thanks

Engine-Ear 02-16-2015 09:33 AM

Winger, I am undecided on the show this weekend. Less than 50% chance as of this writing, but I will send you a PM with my number if I do.

Also, can you post a pic of your car, or at least an underhood view?

Stuart 02-16-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winger514 (Post 5358505)
Stuart, do you know if the canister mounted to the frame, or to the inner fender? I saw that same photo from Performance Pontiac, but can't figure out where it actually bolted on.

It bolts onto the inner fender.

winger514 02-16-2015 11:47 AM

thanks

Thanks Stuart.

Engine-ear. I've got one older photo of my engine compartment. I've owned the car since 1988 and did a frame off in 1989. Hit all the car shows until 1994 when I got back into 2 wheel touring. Car has been in a heated garage since. In 2013 I started refreshing my restoration. All that is to say I only have the one old photo. I'll post it (and an overall from the same time frame) when I can. The car is pretty much original with matching numbers and date codes. 27J with Slim Jim, Mandalay Red with black interior. Original SC car that went to OH until I bought it. 56,000 miles. Obviously, some ripped off the vacuum linkage and all I need to put it back stock is the damn canister location.....give me your email and I can send pics.

Stuart 02-16-2015 12:32 PM

If I can remember when I get home tonight, before I go in the house I'll look under the hood of my car to confirm where the screw holes are for the tripower canister (I converted it to mechanical linkage, and took all the vacuum stuff off and put it in a box.)

Coincidentally, even though my car is a 1961 it's painted Mandalay Red...that color had also been available in 1959; the original owner of my car had previously owned a '59 painted Mandalay Red, and when he bought this one in 1961 he special ordered it painted the same color.

Engine-Ear 02-16-2015 06:04 PM

PM on its way....

Quote:

Originally Posted by winger514 (Post 5358689)
give me your email and I can send pics.

Check your Private Messages...

Stuart 02-16-2015 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo showing the two mounting holes for the tripower vacuum canister on my car. They have little threaded inserts in them.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hmentid=390431

winger514 02-17-2015 10:22 AM

Thanks Stuart. Interesting...I wonder if they had different styles of canisters at different factories? I have 2 holes in the same general location, but they appear to be closer together....hmmm. And, neither the OPGI aftermarket canister, nor the factory canister I found align with my holes. I think the canister is for a 59-60, not a 61-62. I'm taking it with me to a swap meet this weekend where, hopefully, there is a guy who has a 59-60unit I can compare.

Thanks for all the help...I'm getting closer to figuring it out. If you happen to dig out your old canister, can you send me some photos of it please...unless you might be interested in selling it (I know, probably not, but I have to ask....lol)

Stuart 02-17-2015 10:32 AM

My car was built in Pontiac - I know there were a number of things that varied from one assembly plant to another but don't know if the canister was one of them. Mine is stored away in a place where I can't get to it right away, it will have to wait for warmer weather.

cat1962 02-19-2015 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From 1962 Pontiac Heating and AC manual. Page 1-18

Stuart 02-19-2015 10:23 PM

That's interesting. The 1961 HVAC manual has the same diagram, even on the same page (1-18), except it doesn't include the tripower canister.

Engine-Ear 02-19-2015 10:28 PM

Thanks, cat1962!!

winger514 02-20-2015 03:02 PM

ditto

I've got the manual, never thought about looking in it for tri power stuff....thanks

Ziggy 02-21-2015 12:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stuart, Your memory is still there!! It reminds me of a large juice can with ribs from back in the day. This was the tri-power canister taken out of a 63 Bonneville in 2003 before it was refinished. Hope this helps. It was mounted horizontally (length wise)on the pass side lower inner fender well with it almost touching up against the frame. The bolts secured it in place - from the outside- going in and the fender not have threaded inserts but the canister bracket did. I don't have a picture of the fender. I then reused the canister when I put in Tom Hands VOE in the Catalina.

winger514 02-21-2015 01:15 PM

They apparently had two types of canisters, as the mounting brackets on this one are "long", while the mounting holes in my car and Stuart's seem be for closer bracket "studs". This canister closely resembles the repro one from OPGI, down to the mounting studs. Or, maybe they changed them in 63????
I found a photo of a canister on a 1961 Catalina on eBay (ad is ended). This car was advertised as the only known 4 Dr, 4 spd, tri power car. It did not have PS, PB or AC, so I don't know why the canister is there. However, the canister appeared to have a band around it that then mounted to the inner fender. With that mounting, it seems like it would like up with the holes in my car and Stuart's. The mystery continues.
If someone will explain to me how to post photos, I'll get some posted. (Can you spell "not computer savvy"?