PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   66-67 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   1966 Pontiac GTO Tri Power Factory Red Insert Wheel Liners (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855750)

Corky Graff 01-04-2022 06:10 PM

1966 Pontiac GTO Tri Power Factory Red Insert Wheel Liners

Unfortunately I am one of those who have no VIN Number. Hard to believe since my father was a Pontiac dealer in Springfield Illinois a long time ago. Capital Pontiac. I was fortunate enough to have one of 1100 GTO's with Tri-Power and Red Wheel Liners that came standard from the factory.
I bought the car in 1966 from the new dealer Huber Pontiac after my fathers passing.
I believe I am out of luck trying to find this car. Maroon with White leather top and white interior. Tri Power 4 Speed. I'm speaking with some other folks who owned it later to see if there is any chance they might have the VIN number.
without that I don't think I have a chance of finding the car. :thanx:

ZeGermanHam 01-04-2022 09:12 PM

Any chance you can still contact company you had it insured by to see if they have the VIN on record?

60sstuff 01-04-2022 10:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the PY board. You will find lots of help on a Pontiac automobile here.

The ‘66 GTO you are describing looks like this ‘66 Lemans Sprint.

Burgundy / Parchment interior / White Cordova (vinyl) top.

I was born in Springfield, Illinois and lived there for 24 years before moving to California in Dec. 78.

Small world, as I dated one of the Huber girls around ‘72-‘74 and later made a few purchases for my ‘66 Reef Turquoise from Huber Pontiac before I drove that car to California.

Check out the “Hood Insulation” that was still available in ‘78.
I wish I had bought dozens of these as the repro hood pads of today suck.

Here is a full OEM set, plus one extra of the Red Fender Liners I have stashed away.

Anyway, I hope you succeed in finding your old ‘66 GTO.

Corky Graff 01-06-2022 02:37 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. color is spot on, Interior and outside. But without the stripe. My GTO was a Tri/Power with the Red stripe tires and a option muffler configuration standard out of the factory , two muffler tips outside of each rear tire. Including red wheel liners. Mr Huber sold the car to a Roger Douglass after I traded into a 67 Grand Prix SJ. I've asked that family if they might have any records. I left Springfield at 25 Years of age. My Mothers flower shop is still there. Mary Lou's Flowers.
Doing my best to find.
Not giving up!

GT182 01-08-2022 10:49 PM

The vin number should be on the top of the frame behind the left rear wheel. But that involves lifting the body off the frame. It could be the last resort if there is no other way to find it.

Baron Von Zeppelin 01-09-2022 01:22 AM

He's trying to relocate a car he owned back in the 60's
And has nothing to go on, except memories.
That would have been a pretty car - did you hand pick the order or was it sitting on the dealer lot ?

The exhaust splitters you describe were 64-65 units.
No SJ model GP's until 69 - just to help with your thoughts..

Didn't know there was a breakdown on 66 TriPower cars with Red Fender Liners.
That is a neat/odd factoid.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

GT182 01-09-2022 12:04 PM

Ok, I thought he had the car but no VIN plate on it. Sorry about that.