PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tri-Power Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=569)
-   -   What year or era Tri-power carbs are these? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736335)

redhook98 09-04-2013 06:57 PM

What year or era Tri-power carbs are these?

5 Attachment(s)
Can't find any numbers on the carbs in my tri-power. The secondary carbs are leaking and they all have issues. Want to rebuild them, but don't know what year or era they are to get the kits. Can any of you tri-power experts make heads or tails of this for me? Are there ethanol-proof kits?
Thanks!

Old Man Taylor 09-04-2013 07:12 PM

It looks like a 1966.

Keith Seymore 09-04-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhook98 (Post 5013645)
Doh!

;)

K

Robert Williams 09-04-2013 07:51 PM

1966 nothing better looking than Three Deuces...

redhook98 09-04-2013 07:55 PM

Great, thanks! Is that a good year/era for these? Anything look glaringly wrong in the pics (except for the gas pouring out of the gaskets)?

Kenth 09-04-2013 09:01 PM

YouŽll need to locate the ignition coil at rear of passenger side cylinder head.

Coupe62 09-04-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhook98 (Post 5013691)
Great, thanks! Is that a good year/era for these? Anything look glaringly wrong in the pics (except for the gas pouring out of the gaskets)?

The routeing of the fuel lines looks a little odd. Of corse I am used to looking at 62, 63, and 65 units, but the fuel lines don't look right to me. Just my opinin. Sorry, I recant that statement, just looked at a picture of 66 unit and your lines look correct

Doug 09-06-2013 01:44 PM

Appearances??????????????

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhook98 (Post 5013691)

The '66 setup uses a larger center carb than earlier ones and, accordingly, is a "better" setup. It fits 65 and up heads. There is a school of thought/opinion that the 1965 "small center carb" setup is not sufficient for optimal performance of larger displacement engines.
The setup pictured appears to be pretty good functional setup.

One thing that appears "incorrect" for this '66 setup is that the "progressive link" connecting the middle carb to the rear carb is a "plunger type" as opposed to the typical "slotted bar" setup. The "plunger type" was used on earlier 60's cars and a changeover was made to slotted bars maybe in 1964. This plunger type is available in aftermarket versions. The original plunger type had some safety concern issues with the possibility of the plunger rod coming out of the socket and binding up the end carbs in a wide open position.

Although the plunger type was not used in '65, some sales brochures had pictures/drawings of engines with plunger setups.

Keith Seymore 09-06-2013 03:00 PM

To address your ethanol concern: a couple of the carb builders (Mike's Tripower, for one, and Cliff Ruggles - who recently retired) have accelerator pump plungers made out of leather rather than rubber/plastic. This are supposed to fare better with alcohol than the previous versions.

K

zeebo 09-06-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 5015110)
To address your ethanol concern: a couple of the carb builders (Mike's Tripower, for one, and Cliff Ruggles - who recently retired) have accelerator pump plungers made out of leather rather than rubber/plastic. This are supposed to fare better with alcohol than the previous versions.

K

cliff ruggles recently retired???!?!?

redhook98 09-06-2013 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up the Echlin kits. Will see how those go. After that I will explore the leather pumps.

As for the linkage, it did pop out on my once already. Not sure how. I can slam it around all day long by hand and it is solid. ? Will update it after I get it running 100%. Can I get just that slotted bar to update it?

Also, is there supposed to be a kick-down linkage connection somewhere? i have an older (late 60's) TH400 installed. No kick down at all right now. Shifts firm and smooth, but no kick down. this is what happens when the guy you get a car from has no idea what had been previously done to it, and is not a car guy.

I am not even sure what motor is in it! The code on the from is YU (or YO) and 0687610. Was told it was a 1968 400 or 428. ?

67_Krewzer 09-06-2013 04:39 PM

Definitely check out Mike’s site http://www.pontiactripower.com for tri-power parts and info.

Robert Williams 09-06-2013 04:58 PM

KIckdown stud...

When i use a turbo 400 with Tri Power i use the 65 tri power linkage on the center carb. The 65 has a longer arm than the 66 for the center carb. You can buy a kickdown stud from any of vendors and attach it to the lower end of the center carb arm. The 65 and 66 linkage kits are the same except for the center carb arm, they will interchange.

johnta1 09-06-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

I am not even sure what motor is in it! The code on the from is YU (or YO) and 0687610. Was told it was a 1968 400 or 428. ?
It's a YU.
Could be a lot of different years and displacements.

Engine codes

Have to see what the date code casting is on the engine.

:)

Robert Williams 09-06-2013 08:12 PM

To add to my above post you will need to fab a small bkt at the rear of the manifold to hold the cable. Also i think Lokar makes a kickdown that mounts down on the trans but i have never used one yet...

Keith Seymore 09-06-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeebo (Post 5015141)
cliff ruggles recently retired???!?!?

Might be "Cliff R".

One of those two.

:o

They might be the same person. Ever notice you never see them both in the same thread at the same time?

:p

Ben M. 09-06-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 5015314)
Might be "Cliff R".

One of those two.

:o

They might be the same person. Ever notice you never see them both in the same thread at the same time?

:p

Sure you aren't talking about Jon of the Carburetor Shop?

Cliff was just giving advice and someone posted about calling him to buy parts just the other day.

chrisp 09-07-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhook98 (Post 5015151)
I picked up the Echlin kits. Will see how those go. After that I will explore the leather pumps.

As for the linkage, it did pop out on my once already. Not sure how. I can slam it around all day long by hand and it is solid. ? Will update it after I get it running 100%. Can I get just that slotted bar to update it?

Also, is there supposed to be a kick-down linkage connection somewhere? i have an older (late 60's) TH400 installed. No kick down at all right now. Shifts firm and smooth, but no kick down. this is what happens when the guy you get a car from has no idea what had been previously done to it, and is not a car guy.

What color are the accelerator pumps ? If black they are no good for ethanol fuel , you want the Blue ones made out of Fluorelastomer that are alcohol resistant . I have them if needed . As for leather , not a fan .

Keith Seymore 09-07-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben M. (Post 5015333)
Sure you aren't talking about Jon of the Carburetor Shop?

Cliff was just giving advice and someone posted about calling him to buy parts just the other day.

I believe that is correct; that's who I was thinking of.

Thank you -

K

redhook98 09-07-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisp (Post 5015484)
What color are the accelerator pumps ? If black they are no good for ethanol fuel , you want the Blue ones made out of Fluorelastomer that are alcohol resistant . I have them if needed . As for leather , not a fan .

I will get back to you on this. The kits will be here on Monday. If they are black, I will pick up a few of the ones you recommend. I will PM you if I need em. thanks!