PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Hood hinges (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841634)

fbd73 06-19-2020 05:52 AM

Hood hinges

Hi All,
I have a question. My car is in the paintshop and they put the hood hinges back on are trying to close the hood and have said that the right hand one now needs replacing because there is too much play in it. The hood now sits higher on the right hand side and they say they can't adjust it down any further. The hood opened and closed properly before the car went in so I don't understand why there is a problem now.

What are your thoughts?

78w72 06-19-2020 10:10 AM

the hood hinge didnt just magically go bad sitting in the shop, they dont have it adjusted right or they damaged/tweaked it when removing or installing it.

i found that the rear of the hinge needs to be adjusted all the way down while the front slot can be up more. its a balancing act, but if it fit right before they removed it, it should fit right again.

Formulabruce 06-19-2020 01:10 PM

test it by putting a washer in the FRONT bolt area under the hinge to reverse cantilever the hinge, see if it sits down better. ( on the hood part )Also I have had to elongate the mounting slots "Up" To allow hinge to drop down more after a fender is re installed and aligned.

Aus78Formula 06-19-2020 04:58 PM

Lift the rear of the hinge to make the rear of the hood sit down. Plus, quite possible the hinge is worn out too.

Scarebird 06-19-2020 06:44 PM

My body shop said the same thing about my RH hinge - they were right.
I rebuilt it with bronze flanged sleeves and bolts. Works excellent now.

I just disassembled my Lemans hinges - more play in the RH than left - I wonder why?

FunctionalShaker 06-21-2020 08:31 AM

If you pull the spring off, you can easily tell if there is any play in the rivets. Takes about 200 lbs to stretch them enough to remove.

Aus78Formula 06-21-2020 09:00 AM

I think if they are even questionable it is probably as good as assuming they are, springs are good things to avoid playing with wherever they are on a car!

FunctionalShaker 06-21-2020 02:50 PM

Not hard if you know how to do things safely.

Aus78Formula 06-21-2020 09:10 PM

Didn't say it was hard, but many on these forums don't have the experience or correct tools but still want to attempt things.

fbd73 06-21-2020 09:42 PM

That's exactly why I put this post up. I don't have the knowledge, so I put it out there to help me sort out the problems.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The paintshop has taken all the comments onboard and now has the hood sitting heaps better.

Aus78Formula 06-21-2020 09:44 PM

All good, wasn't referring to you in particular or this thread, just generally. Good news on the hood.

FunctionalShaker 06-22-2020 03:21 PM

One learns by doing. Glad it worked out for you.

78w72 06-22-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbd73 (Post 6153022)
That's exactly why I put this post up. I don't have the knowledge, so I put it out there to help me sort out the problems.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The paintshop has taken all the comments onboard and now has the hood sitting heaps better.

so was the hinge bad?

fbd73 06-22-2020 06:18 PM

I haven't seen it personally yet but the guy said there is still more movement in the right hand hinge than the left hand hinge but the hood is sitting heaps better. When I can, I will head over and have a look.

fbd73 06-24-2020 05:54 PM

I spoke to the guy yesterday and he said the hood is now sitting correctly. He mentioned that the comments you guys had given had really helped and he had worked through it with those in mind.
So, thanks heaps everyone and it just shows that these forums really work.