PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   Best Street/Strip Headers? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611778)

71 T/A 09-25-2009 11:39 AM

Best Street/Strip Headers?

Are Doug's Headers the best for a 2nd gen F-body? If I decide to go with headers for my 72 Formula, I want headers with good ground clearance. I thought I read that Doug's are good in that area? Are they made well with quality guage metal? Do they fit well? Are there better headers?

73ta 09-29-2009 06:14 PM

Best I've ever had on my TA. I've had in the past HO Racing Tri-y's and Hooker. Doug's went in easiest!

GTOLou 09-29-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73ta (Post 3780291)
Best I've ever had on my TA. I've had in the past HO Racing Tri-y's and Hooker. Doug's went in easiest!

x2

Once in, they fit great. I've used both dports and round ports from Dougs. Had to remove oil filter housing on right and clutch linkage/starter on the left. Round ports have easier to start bolts than dports.

Both are top notch and really hug the bottom of the car. Don't scrimp on crappy headers...

Formula8 10-04-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOLou (Post 3780316)
Don't scrimp on crappy headers...

Good news is that I believe I have the best headers for a second gen. Bad news is that they are no longer made and those that have them are not going to give them up. Me included. My second choice would be Dougs as the reality is that they made my headers in the first place. Assuming the build quality on my headers is any indication, you will be very happy with Dougs headers. Dougs Headers are not of the same configuration or design as what I have but of the headers currently being produced, Dougs is probably the best choice.

Toecutter 11-12-2009 10:38 AM

I've got a set of Hookers on my T/A and they went in fine. Had to pull the starter on the drivers side, but once the header was in, the starter goes on an off easily. Had to remove the oil filter adapter on the passengers side. Other than that, they went in with no drama.

Only thing I hate is that 4th bolt on each side. Holy crap, who invented that? I was only able to hand tighten that bolt on both sides (no leaks yet) because no way in hell am I able to get a wrench in there. Do you all know any tricks for this?

67 Lamnas 11-12-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toecutter (Post 3819444)
I've got a set of Hookers on my T/A and they went in fine. Had to pull the starter on the drivers side, but once the header was in, the starter goes on an off easily. Had to remove the oil filter adapter on the passengers side. Other than that, they went in with no drama.

Only thing I hate is that 4th bolt on each side. Holy crap, who invented that? I was only able to hand tighten that bolt on both sides (no leaks yet) because no way in hell am I able to get a wrench in there. Do you all know any tricks for this?

Cut the flange between 6&8, and 5&7 for clearance......also, on some applications, you can get access thru the wheelwell opening after removing the tire, on some others, you can go up thru the bottom....it depends a lot on the header design