PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-81 Firebird & TA Parts FOR SALE (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=451)
-   -   1970 firebird seat belts (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873297)

grd777 04-22-2024 08:34 PM

1970 firebird seat belts

2 Attachment(s)
stripping a 70 parts car ,got some seat belt .they will have to be refurbished
listing here before i try ebay
$125 plus shipping

Mr. G 04-23-2024 03:27 PM

Would you happen to have the shoulder harness belts for the '70 Firebird? Still need a set for my T/A.

grd777 04-23-2024 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. G (Post 6499636)
Would you happen to have the shoulder harness belts for the '70 Firebird? Still need a set for my T/A.

sorry no ,that all i got

Mr. G 04-23-2024 06:07 PM

Thanks.

unruhjonny 04-24-2024 03:24 PM

the first two small buckles are 1972.5-1974;
I don't know if they will even work with the single rear belt in the middle of the two buckle types.

The middle belt, and far right buckles pictured look to be correct for 1970-1972-1/2.

Here is a general description which might help for 1970 through 1972-1/2;
  • Front lap belts: 1970 recoiling / 1971 through to 1972-1/2 fixed length with vinyl sleeve
  • Front shoulder belts: fixed length with elastics to hang from roof (roof hangers were translucent plastic, and are often broken).
  • Front lap buckles: adjustable length (same ones for lap and shoulder)
  • Rear lap belts: short; fixed length
  • Rear lap buckles: adjustable length (shorter than the front buckles)

Mid way through 1972 seat belt laws changed, and this required a seat belt warning to be incorporated - the speedometer and gauge clusters changed at the same time to incorporate a "BELT" warning light.

These belts had a smaller buckle than earlier units, and of late they have been coined as the "exploding belts" because of the tendency for the front plastic faces of the buckles to pop apart rendering hte buckle almost useless.

These belts had smaller male ends;
The front lap belts for 1972.5 & 1973 used a shoulder belt much like earlier ones, except they interlocked with the lap female belt end - the end was unique;
Because of the shoulder belt interlock, these belts only had a single buckle for the front seats.

For 1974 I believe that the separate shoulder belt was eliminated - and this replaced the two piece belts with a (first year) one piece shoulder belts which had a recoiling base mounted on the ceiling.

I hope this helps :)

'ol Pinion head 04-24-2024 05:54 PM

George, am sorry to interrupt your ad.

To respond to Jon, the "exploding buckle" Irvin seatbelt buckles/matching male ends were not used in the short season, late '72 model, F-body seatbelt sets. The small textured plastic buckles made their first F-body appearance in '73 model F-body's (first production models mfg very early Oct '72).

Of note, the first GM use of "exploding buckle" standard seat belts were in late '72 model Pontiac A-bodies. Have a complete set I removed from an extremely low mile '72 Lux LeMans built 01C Pontiac. Need to ck the vendor, they were not mfg by Irvin.

unruhjonny 04-24-2024 06:09 PM

thanks for the correction;
That sounds correct - and has jogged some of the webs out... The belts DID change though.

Sorry for my bad information :)

grd777 04-24-2024 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unruhjonny (Post 6499802)
the first two small buckles are 1972.5-1974;
I don't know if they will even work with the single rear belt in the middle of the two buckle types.

The middle belt, and far right buckles pictured look to be correct for 1970-1972-1/2.

Here is a general description which might help for 1970 through 1972-1/2;
  • Front lap belts: 1970 recoiling / 1971 through to 1972-1/2 fixed length with vinyl sleeve
  • Front shoulder belts: fixed length with elastics to hang from roof (roof hangers were translucent plastic, and are often broken).
  • Front lap buckles: adjustable length (same ones for lap and shoulder)
  • Rear lap belts: short; fixed length
  • Rear lap buckles: adjustable length (shorter than the front buckles)

Mid way through 1972 seat belt laws changed, and this required a seat belt warning to be incorporated - the speedometer and gauge clusters changed at the same time to incorporate a "BELT" warning light.

These belts had a smaller buckle than earlier units, and of late they have been coined as the "exploding belts" because of the tendency for the front plastic faces of the buckles to pop apart rendering hte buckle almost useless.

These belts had smaller male ends;
The front lap belts for 1972.5 & 1973 used a shoulder belt much like earlier ones, except they interlocked with the lap female belt end - the end was unique;
Because of the shoulder belt interlock, these belts only had a single buckle for the front seats.

For 1974 I believe that the separate shoulder belt was eliminated - and this replaced the two piece belts with a (first year) one piece shoulder belts which had a recoiling base mounted on the ceiling.

I hope this helps :)

thast what i pulled out of the 70 parts car