PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   93-02 Engine Tech (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=539)
-   -   4th Gen...my new project will see a real Pontiac motor (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582982)

WARPed 12-14-2008 12:36 AM

4th Gen...my new project will see a real Pontiac motor

Yep, I got a 94 Formula cheap! Unloaded the lt1 350 and auto trans to another local and will be putting an E headed Pontiac motor in. So far looking at everything this will be a fairly easy swap, unlike what many have tried to tell me. With a BMR K member there is a bunch of room in there.

SteveGB21 12-14-2008 11:09 PM

Haven't heard anything about a Poncho Motor in a 4th gen. Let me know how it goes. One day, I may do that to my '02 Firebird when the v-6 goes out (will have it a drag race car).

WARPed 12-14-2008 11:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the beginning. We mocked up the BMR suspension and the cage will be next. When the all the welding is done we will paint the engine bay and inside silver.

n20ta2 12-18-2008 12:08 AM

sounds good,I did a motown sb in mine only because I didnt think a pontiac would fit.you will need to get a little creative around the windshield cowl if your running a single plane intake and carb,I cut the cowl out of mine so no wipers.

WARPed 01-19-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n20ta2 (Post 3510159)
sounds good,I did a motown sb in mine only because I didnt think a pontiac would fit.you will need to get a little creative around the windshield cowl if your running a single plane intake and carb,I cut the cowl out of mine so no wipers.

Will be using a front & mid plate to simplify things, S&W offer them surprisingly cheap. And I haven't cut the cowl yet, but it looks like we will have to. Will wait till we do a mock-up

ponjohn 01-24-2009 04:57 PM

warped- what did you pay for the car?

WARPed 01-26-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponjohn (Post 3546943)
warped- what did you pay for the car?

I payed $2000. But sold the motor & trans for $1200 and have the 3.23 posi/disc rear for sale plus other stuff. V6 cars are cheaper but don't plan on getting any of your money back out of the motor unless you have something lined up ahead of time.

quicksilver97ta 01-26-2009 10:52 AM

That's awesome. Will it be carbed? That cowl overhang is the biggest obstacle working on these cars. Someone did this with a Pontiac engine and ran FI to boot. Check the back issues of HPP. Post some pics when you have time. These 4th gens can be had cheap as a roller and are usually pretty solid cars. Lots of fast torque arm cars out there.

ponjohn 01-27-2009 07:31 AM

I am considering a 3rd gen.

Nice deal. Car looks straight and no body work required.

WARPed 02-04-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver97ta (Post 3548476)
That's awesome. Will it be carbed? That cowl overhang is the biggest obstacle working on these cars. Someone did this with a Pontiac engine and ran FI to boot. Check the back issues of HPP. Post some pics when you have time. These 4th gens can be had cheap as a roller and are usually pretty solid cars. Lots of fast torque arm cars out there.

Yes it will have a King Demon so cutting the cowl is all but guaranteed. Would love to go efi but just too expensive for the change over at this point. And yes it looks like working on thing in the engine bay will be a pita :oogle: We will see how the torque arm works with our Pontiac engines :)

WARPed 02-04-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponjohn (Post 3549431)
I am considering a 3rd gen.

Nice deal. Car looks straight and no body work required.

The 3rd gen cars are becoming more and more popular, and hopefully my project can help show others that our Pontiac motors can also fit into 4th gen cars with out too much trouble.

JOE DEYTON 02-06-2009 01:22 AM

I think the 3rd and 4th gens make good Pontiac powered cars. I love the old ones, but they cost so much to fix. I have 2 GTOs 68 and 70 that are taking forever. I was trying to trade a guy I know for my 94 Z28 for his 93 Trans Am. He was all for it for awhile bit wants to keep his new "Jasper" crate motor lol. Told him Id swap motors and all, he just doesnt want down time. My buddy runs a stock suspension BBC 632 Drag Radial 2002 Camaro with stock suspension (bolt ons). Runs mid-low 7's, on spray. His old 72 Chevelle the same motor was in ran a best of 7.90s. I think your car will run real well, I may have to sell one of the GTOs and stick a Pontiac in my Camaro lol. Keep us updated on the progress. What tire size will you be running? BTW-sorry for the hi-jack a bit.

ponjohn 02-06-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOE DEYTON (Post 3558958)
I think the 3rd and 4th gens make good Pontiac powered cars. I love the old ones, but they cost so much to fix. I have 2 GTOs 68 and 70 that are taking forever. I was trying to trade a guy I know for my 94 Z28 for his 93 Trans Am. He was all for it for awhile bit wants to keep his new "Jasper" crate motor lol. Told him Id swap motors and all, he just doesnt want down time. My buddy runs a stock suspension BBC 632 Drag Radial 2002 Camaro with stock suspension (bolt ons). Runs mid-low 7's, on spray. His old 72 Chevelle the same motor was in ran a best of 7.90s. I think your car will run real well, I may have to sell one of the GTOs and stick a Pontiac in my Camaro lol. Keep us updated on the progress. What tire size will you be running? BTW-sorry for the hi-jack a bit.

Good info about the combo in a different car.

I thought about lightening ( etc etc) my Ventura but I think a 3rd gen is a better format to go fast.

richmas5 02-14-2009 10:24 PM

awesome,I saw this thread and said ,wow someone actually feels the way I feel ,pontiac motor in a pontiac car,I want to buy a 89 gta but only if I could put a pontiac 400 or 455 in it,no offense to anyone dont like chevy never will,IMO ,none of there cars have the stylin appeal like a pontiac,my question is can I do what your doing to a third gen,sorry for stepping on your thread,but I had to ask thanks

WARPed 02-15-2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmas5 (Post 3566809)
awesome,I saw this thread and said ,wow someone actually feels the way I feel ,pontiac motor in a pontiac car,I want to buy a 89 gta but only if I could put a pontiac 400 or 455 in it,no offense to anyone dont like chevy never will,IMO ,none of there cars have the stylin appeal like a pontiac,my question is can I do what your doing to a third gen,sorry for stepping on your thread,but I had to ask thanks

sure can, check out BMR 3rd Gen for the parts for the 3rd Gen cars. You can check out my project on my forum "The WARPed Tepee" at the link below. I also did a 85 Grand Prix as well.

ponjohn 02-15-2009 08:51 PM

What did the grand prix run?

WARPed 02-16-2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponjohn (Post 3567621)
What did the grand prix run?

Never ran it at the track. was convinced the 700r4 would brake :) The 416ci motor went 10.80's @ 123 in my 69GP so I never trusted the overdrive trans to hold up to the motor. It sure was fun to drive though.

FireGoat_Ben 09-17-2013 03:22 PM

Looking forward to following this one! I've got a '94 V6 Firebird that is patiently awaiting me to do my research on what it takes to make this swap happen. Any links/shared information on this would be very much appreciated!!