PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Liberty Blue '69 GTO coupe on BaT (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852011)

roger1 07-22-2021 08:49 AM

Liberty Blue '69 GTO coupe on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ign=2021-07-22

thepontiacman 07-22-2021 09:32 AM

originally a Verdero green car, see trim tag.

roger1 07-22-2021 10:03 AM

I guess this might bother some people but I never care when I see a car switched from it's original color to another factory correct color.

72projectbird 07-22-2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepontiacman (Post 6266385)
originally a Verdero green car, see trim tag.

I'd say the seller made the right call

Formulabruce 07-22-2021 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger1 (Post 6266395)
I guess this might bother some people but I never care when I see a car switched from it's original color to another factory correct color.

Unless you own it, and it's a factory Butternut yellow, or Desert Sand, right?

mgarblik 07-27-2021 11:42 AM

Well, this is another interesting one to keep an eye on. One day left to go. The Burgundy one was at 22.5K at this point in the auction and this one at 7.4K. The Liberty Blue one is much less desirable certainly. It has a fair amount of typical "go fast catalog goodies" added to it but not stuff that can't be corrected. The color change is probably a 15-20% hit vs original color. If this one can land in the mid 20's somewhere, that is what I would expect in the current market. I think the fact that the original owner really wanted his car back drove the Burgundy GTO into no mans land. It will be fun to watch.

1965gp 07-27-2021 11:46 AM

I agree- I would expect this car to be much higher by now.

tigergto 07-27-2021 06:49 PM

Bidding doesn’t usually take off until the last 5-10 minutes.

roger1 07-27-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6267546)
... The color change is probably a 15-20% hit vs original color. If this one can land in the mid 20's somewhere, that is what I would expect in the current market.

Since there is nothing whatsoever about this car that is rare other than it is a '69 GTO, I disagree with you on a price hit for the color change. Not only that but the car isn't perfect and not a fresh total restoration/restomod.
On the color, It might make a difference to some people but zero to others. Might be others looking at it that don't like the green too.

nas t eh 07-28-2021 01:07 AM

I’m not a buyer, but I’d rather have the blue over the green, If I could get one at a discount because it was not the original color but the repaint was well done in a nice factory color I like, that would be a perfect situation .

69hardtop 07-28-2021 08:56 AM

Guess I’m in the minority…..I would chose Verdero Green over any blue as my preference.

roger1 07-28-2021 09:03 AM

I think they are both beautiful colors and like them equally.

mgarblik 07-28-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nas t eh (Post 6267737)
I’m not a buyer, but I’d rather have the blue over the green, If I could get one at a discount because it was not the original color but the repaint was well done in a nice factory color I like, that would be a perfect situation .

That's exactly where I land on the color change too! I much prefer Liberty Blue to Vedoro Green. Even though the Green has grown on me over the years. But from a value standpoint, there is always a hit for a color change, no matter what. My percentage may be off, it was just a guess from looking at some valuation tools. Liberty blue is a great color.

nas t eh 07-28-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgarblik (Post 6267779)
That's exactly where I land on the color change too! I much prefer Liberty Blue to Vedoro Green. Even though the Green has grown on me over the years. But from a value standpoint, there is always a hit for a color change, no matter what. My percentage may be off, it was just a guess from looking at some valuation tools. Liberty blue is a great color.

I’m just not sure the discount always applies or it is not very big, maybe this is the situation here too.

Eg. of where I don’t think color change is going to hurt as much,

White Trans Ams, maybe you can’t change the color of white 70RA4’s, or73SD’s, but painting the other early ones blue, or a 73 green or red may not result in a very big price drop.

roger1 07-28-2021 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nas t eh (Post 6267835)
I’m just not sure the discount always applies or it is not very big, maybe this is the situation here too.

Eg. of where I don’t think color change is going to hurt as much,

White Trans Ams, maybe you can’t change the color of white 70RA4’s, or73SD’s, but painting the other early ones blue, or a 73 green or red may not result in a very big price drop.

Agree here. If this blue one were an RAIV, different story. That is unless a buyer was going to do an entire body-off restoration anyway which is a good chance would happen with an RAIV car in the condition this one is in. Then there would be no difference.

bird72 07-28-2021 12:54 PM

I think changing a cool vintage cars color messes with it's mojo. And mojo is sacred :)

'ol Pinion head 07-28-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger1 (Post 6267841)
Agree here. If this blue one were an RAIV, different story. That is unless a buyer was going to do an entire body-off restoration anyway which is a good chance would happen with an RAIV car in the condition this one is in. Then there would be no difference.

Why jump to the thought process it has to be something as ultra rare as a RA4? Changing the color on a factory decent 400 WT '69 GTO hurts value, know a ton of fellow enthusiasts that deduct huge for such a color change. Liberty blue, I agree is pretty color, but not being factory coded that color swap will always hold that particular car back. Do agree its not a high appreciating '69. Mid 90's, I did quite a bit of work on a '69 a liberty blue/parchment inter '69 convert. Typical 400 auto AC, no gauges, no posi, south central dealer order car. Pretty combination, nice but not something that I'd own. Over the years, have examined verduro green 68 & 69 Birds & Goats that were done so well, they would grab anyone's attention! Locally, there was a crystal turquoise/parchment no AC WT '69 that was brought in from out of state. Overpaid for, & had a thrown together bbc under the hood. Was then quickee thrown together into a 72 72 Judge clone. Nearly everyone I ever ran into that cked out that car had the same question: "Why".... and I can't say most of those folks were purists. Many were bug smacker GTO owner types that just couldn't see the waste of such a well optioned 69 hardtop to restore, even if not to the nth degree.

72projectbird 07-28-2021 02:19 PM

I add value to cars that have had a color change to something I like.

roger1 07-28-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bird72 (Post 6267853)
I think changing a cool vintage cars color messes with it's mojo. And mojo is sacred :)

Even if it was Mayfair Maize?

vertigto 07-28-2021 03:17 PM

Holding fast at $18.5K with 1.5 hours to go...