PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   68-69 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   Nice survivor 1969 GTO coupe on ebay.... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854575)

Mark Simiele 11-11-2021 10:34 PM

Nice survivor 1969 GTO coupe on ebay....

Always a treat to see a survivor original paint car. At first glance I thought it was Warwick blue but its Crystal Turquoise. A bench seat with a/c and wheel covers too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19450034488...sAAOSw6gVhjT46

dataway 11-12-2021 06:41 AM

WOW!

Brewster 11-12-2021 07:52 AM

I would leave it just the way it is and enjoy her.

69hardtop 11-12-2021 09:25 AM

I’ve been to Grand Junction CO on business quite a few times and I can attest to the no rust climate of the area. Still amazing to me that these nice cars continue to pop up out of nowhere

GTOnly70 11-12-2021 10:18 AM

Love it!

1969 Ram Air 11-12-2021 10:33 AM

This car looks so original. It would make a great cruiser. Great colors for sure.

dataway 11-12-2021 12:06 PM

If my wife had already retired (like me) and we had moved to our new location, I'd be bidding on that.

north 11-12-2021 01:41 PM

Neat example of the "Non hardcore" type setups (Auto, AC, bench, hubcaps etc) that were the majority of all GTO's in the day. One oddity is no softray glass (even the windshield) on an AC car.

camerjeff 11-12-2021 06:43 PM

It is a Nice car, but odd that it has clear glass & A/C. I bet if it were a 68 it would have the 2bbl 400 also.

Ram Air IV Jack 11-12-2021 07:05 PM

So many people claim to own survivors these days but then you inspect them and that is not the case! This car appears to be a true, to the survivor's name and a model to use for restorations. Hope it gets a good home.

Sidponcho 11-14-2021 10:01 AM

Very cool indeed. A great representation of that color too.....so many are way off.

1969 Ram Air 11-14-2021 10:56 AM

$19,700 reserve met. Very tempting.

dataway 11-14-2021 03:32 PM

I wonder ..... is the original engine still in it? I notice he didn't mention that, and he has the last digits of the engine number blurred out in the photo (could be a focus issue, but looks more like on purpose ) That engine number is not related to VIN, so not sure why he would do that, also doesn't show the VIN tag. Not sure why people protect VIN numbers, you can't really do anything nefarious with them.
Seems like promoting the fact it has original engine/trans would be a no brainer.

At that mileage .... could have easily had a replacement engine installed at some point. Doesn't look like it ... but jeez, if I was selling it I'd be yelling about the matching numbers.

1969 Ram Air 11-14-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6295067)
I wonder ..... is the original engine still in it? I notice he didn't mention that, and he has the last digits of the engine number blurred out in the photo (could be a focus issue, but looks more like on purpose ) That engine number is not related to VIN, so not sure why he would do that, also doesn't show the VIN tag. Not sure why people protect VIN numbers, you can't really do anything nefarious with them.
Seems like promoting the fact it has original engine/trans would be a no brainer.

At that mileage .... could have easily had a replacement engine installed at some point. Doesn't look like it ... but jeez, if I was selling it I'd be yelling about the matching numbers.

Good points. The seller does claim it's all original, but without a picture of the partial engine VIN, I wouldn't trust that statement.

Sidponcho 11-14-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6295067)

Matching numbers wouldn't make much difference....its not a RA or SD or Judge.

dataway 11-14-2021 08:37 PM

Would to a lot of people ... because a "survivor" isn't a survivor without original engine, trans etc. On a restored plain jane it wouldn't make a lot of difference, on survivor type ... yes.

Sidponcho 11-14-2021 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dataway (Post 6295143)
Would to a lot of people ... because a "survivor" isn't a survivor without original engine, trans etc. On a restored plain jane it wouldn't make a lot of difference, on survivor type ... yes.

What's a the car sells for 25,000 with the original engine and transmission. How much would you deduct if it did not have the original engine?

blue71ta 11-14-2021 11:54 PM

The seller is a stand-up guy. I bought a GTO from him and had a positive experience.

dataway 11-15-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidponcho (Post 6295145)
What's a the car sells for 25,000 with the original engine and transmission. How much would you deduct if it did not have the original engine?

Personally I wouldn't buy it as a "survivor" without the original engine and trans, cause then it's just another old GTO that's been wrenched on by someone that probably doesn't know what they are doing.

But ... if I really wanted it ... I'd want to pay $20,000 instead of $25,000 if it was non-original. I always keep in mind that while it's not a "rare" car ... an unrestored GTO with the original engine still intact is a hard car to find in todays market. With the supply of GTO picked as clean as it has been, unrestored original cars with original engines are very few and far between regardless of their production numbers. Big difference to me between a GTO that has the engine blown up, or worn out, swapped, and a car that still has all the "as delivered" equipment in it.

A car like this one, really only has one thing going for it to command a premium price ... originality, no rare options, no low productions numbers. There is ONE thing that makes this car a potentially great find .... originality, if it doesn't have that, well .... what does it have?

1969 Ram Air 11-15-2021 10:11 AM

I sent the seller a question and he replied that the drivetrain is 100% original.