PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Safety warning welding and brake cleaner. Never mix them! (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872973)

VCho455 04-03-2024 02:39 PM

Safety warning welding and brake cleaner. Never mix them!

Here is a link describing the serious health dangers involved when using brake clean on or near areas to be welded. This happened to a guy just like us.

Beware and stay safe.

https://www.brewracingframes.com/saf...ces%20phosgene

grivera 04-03-2024 03:05 PM

Wow - crazy story!! Thanks for posting.

Dragncar 04-03-2024 04:05 PM

I have never understood why most people use Brakeclean as their go to for cleaning oily parts. Its meant for brakes and brake fluid is water based so it will not work as good anyway. CRC Heavy Duty Degreaser works better than carb cleaner for oily parts.
Thanks for posting the warning, I weld a lot.

JSchmitz 04-03-2024 04:12 PM

YES!!! Burning chlorine producing phosgene! Phosgene is a poisonous gas.

i82much 04-03-2024 05:27 PM

Oh come on, toughen up a little!!!

JSchmitz 04-03-2024 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i82much (Post 6496143)
Oh come on, toughen up a little!!!

Care to demonstrate? :D

Cammer-6 04-03-2024 06:27 PM

Please add welding galvanized material too

promptcritical 04-03-2024 07:32 PM

DOT 3 brake fluid is polyethylene glycol based, not water based, if that matters to the discussion.

Scarebird 04-03-2024 07:46 PM

I warned a guy on another forum about this - he told me to fark off with that chemistry shiat. :-ohwell:

i82much 04-03-2024 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSchmitz (Post 6496154)
Care to demonstrate? :D

absolutely not!!!

jonmachota78 04-03-2024 11:27 PM

I remember a big thread about this years ago on this forum. Im no chemist but i think this warning doesn't apply to non-chlorine brake cleaner in the green can

rolling money pits 04-04-2024 08:49 PM

If “brake clean” doesn’t remove grease/oil, why is it commonplace to spray down new rotors with it when doing a brake job?

But yeah…high heat near chlorine? Not good bedfellows.

einstein 04-04-2024 10:56 PM

CRC Brakleen is a stellar product for removing oil and grease. Only the red can, not that useless crap in the green. Worse, they sell a red can at Dollar General with a yellow stripe band at the top, it's worse than the green can.

I've never found an alternate brand of brake cleaner tha takes oil film off like the true CRC product. Especially good at cleaning up after repairing engine oil leaks.

I appreciate the warnings in this thread, it's news to me and I'll be welding in future.

Dragncar 04-05-2024 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolling money pits (Post 6496254)
If “brake clean” doesn’t remove grease/oil, why is it commonplace to spray down new rotors with it when doing a brake job?

But yeah…high heat near chlorine? Not good bedfellows.

It does remove oil and grease. Just not as good as carb cleaner and certainly not as good as CRC DeGereaser.

Now, while it looks like brake fluid might not be purely water based, glycol.
There is a huge difference what is in your brake system and your engine.
If you put oil in your master cylinder you will basically destroy your brake system. Water, nope. You could flush it out, bleed everything and be OK.
You wash brake parts in hot soapy water and never in a oil based solvent tank.
Carb cleaner is just better at removing oil and grease than BrakeClean.
The sticky dust ect. around your rotors is not oil based.
When I was a kid before Brake Clean was around or popular I seen my dad use a alcohol/water mix with a siphon gun and compressed air to clean around brake drums.
My father was a master heavy equipment mechanic.

Formulajones 04-05-2024 08:18 AM

They sell non chlorinated brake cleaner. It's all I've used for decades.

Jay S 04-05-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulajones (Post 6496304)
They sell non chlorinated brake cleaner. It's all I've used for decades.

Same here.

72projectbird 04-05-2024 09:46 AM

Brake kleen is definitely a recipe for disaster when welding. I usually wipe down the material I'm welding with acetone before gluing stuff together.

george kujanski 04-05-2024 09:56 AM

Back in the day, 1,1,1 Trichloroethane was used as a degreaser in various industries, even for cleaning printed circuit boards. Great stuff when used carefully...gone now because of the chlorine content.

A lot of what we now know as hazardous materials were used freely back in the day....chlorine-based stuff, asbestos, etc.

George

zippy 04-05-2024 09:57 AM

I only use Acetone for cleaning before I TIG. It's much safer. Plus, all my brake clean is Non Chlorinated. Ya, Chlorinated did clean a bit better, but the risks are not worth it. Phosgene gas is very similar to Mustard Gas and we all know what that does.

Ram Air IV Jack 04-06-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragncar (Post 6496125)
I have never understood why most people use Brakeclean as their go to for cleaning oily parts. Its meant for brakes and brake fluid is water based so it will not work as good anyway. CRC Heavy Duty Degreaser works better than carb cleaner for oily parts.
Thanks for posting the warning, I weld a lot.

People use brake clean because it removes just about everything with an oil base, leaves no residue and dries very quickly. I've used this to clean clock works before oiling!!