PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   Strangest modifications you made as a kid. (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846618)

dataway 12-11-2020 11:22 AM

Strangest modifications you made as a kid.

1 Attachment(s)
How about the strangest, weirdest or more stupid modifications you made to your Pontiacs as a kid.

I was a tinkerer .... I hooked up an electric antenna motor to my glove box door. Used the driven nylon core of the antenna to open and close the glove box door. I could make it open and close real quick like a berserk giant clam.

I installed a home 8-track stereo under the dash. Bypassed the AC transformer and ran it on the straight 12v DC from the battery ... and it did work for a while.

I removed the front wheel wells cause I thought it would look cool ... it did make working on the exhaust manifolds and changing plugs easier ... but the battery fell out once.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...9&d=1607700013

erliabol 12-11-2020 11:25 AM

I glued a rubber trim around my car's dashboard. Making it look cheap.

Jonsie 12-11-2020 11:54 AM

I had Midas weld in a cut-out on my '62 F-85. Worked fine until the wire rusted in the cable, of course w/the valve in the wide open position. And of course the tickets followed. So back to Midas for new section of pipe. Sadder (and poorer) but wiser........

Hikin Mike 12-11-2020 01:04 PM

Nothing odd like @dataway did. I added fog lights on my 1972 Nova (first car) and then added a red light under each rear shock mount. I think I added a colored light under the dash too if I remember...which I don't.

carbking 12-11-2020 01:29 PM

I don't think I want to confess to these in print ;)

But a couple of them involved the addition of a model T Ford spark coil.

Jon.

Greg Reid 12-11-2020 01:57 PM

Not a Pontiac but my first car at 16 was a '63 Impala that had the radio speaker in the back seat with that metal grille. I rigged up a blue light behind it so I could turn it on from the drivers' seat. I thought that all those little perforations in the grille made the headliner look like a disco club..it didn't but I still had a cool blue light in my car....lol
Found a pic-
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MMwAA...-TY/s-l640.jpg

sdbob 12-11-2020 01:58 PM

Putting muffler clamps on shock absorbers on my dad's 64 Catalina to jack the back up. My buddy George had a 59 Catalina convertible. We stood in trunk in his dad's garage to hook shocks up springs were so heavy,Then, he put 2x6 lumber under front frames to jack it up! No bs. One time he hit a bump and 2x6 feel out on one side! Oh to be young and foolish or daring!!

Lee 12-11-2020 02:11 PM

My cousin bought a windshield washer kit. Filled it with a bleach/water mix, and routed the outlets to spray in front of his rear tires. Stock (at this time) '78 T/A with 2.56 gears. He did some cool burnouts!!

indymanjoe 12-11-2020 03:11 PM

Did the same as above ^^ however it was filled with Jack Daniels and it came out of a hose in the glovebox.

android 211 12-11-2020 04:09 PM

My buddy routed a windshield washer to pump ATF into the exhaust pipe just below the manifold outlet. It made the most incredible smoke machine.

dataway 12-11-2020 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike (Post 6204557)
Nothing odd like @dataway did. I added fog lights on my 1972 Nova (first car) and then added a red light under each rear shock mount. I think I added a colored light under the dash too if I remember...which I don't.

I remember that one, for a while there were quite a few cars with lights up under in the rear axle area.

I'm ashamed to post this one.
Besides the other horrors .... no fender wells.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...3&d=1607717916

ts3189 12-11-2020 04:24 PM

built a v8 vega out of parts from the junkyard next door. radiator would not fit with fan setup, so we took the grille out and mounted it between the bumper and header panel . our high school auto repair teacher just shook his head.

Mike S 12-11-2020 04:40 PM

Don't know if this counts as a modification. When i was 18 I had a 68 442 with a bad vinyl top. I ripped it off sanded it down and painted it with semigloss rustolium with paint roller. Actually looked good from 20'. Bought it for $300 and towed it home 15 miles with a chain and a buddy. Ended up selling it for $2000, Wish I still had it loved the body style.

dataway 12-11-2020 04:44 PM

Sure that counts, I had lots of ill advised painting adventures.

ts3189 ... back in Memphis in the mid 70's a "little person" named Billy Desmute if I remember correctly was the terror of Summer Ave. Had a V8 Vega he would bring to the Krystal drive-in restaurant on a trailer and take on all comers. Sat on a phone book and had blocks on the pedals.

Gastiresandoil 12-11-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 6204583)
My cousin bought a windshield washer kit. Filled it with a bleach/water mix, and routed the outlets to spray in front of his rear tires. Stock (at this time) '78 T/A with 2.56 gears. He did some cool burnouts!!

We did this and routed it the same way, only we put traction bite in it and street raced :3gears:

Vid 12-11-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gastiresandoil (Post 6204620)
We did this and routed it the same way, only we put traction bite in it and street raced :3gears:

I too installed a secondary windshield washer pump, with the push button neatly installed on my dashboard. I mounted the spray nozzles just above the rear license plate, spraying up at about 45 degrees and directly behind the vehicle. You might wonder why, and I'll tell you this - when some idiot is tailgating your ass on the freeway, a few shots from the sprayer covers their windshield with water, which pisses them off and they just go around or back off. I called it the "Tail-B-Gone", LMAO

lemansboy70 12-11-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 6204583)

I ran the hose to the rear of the passenger seat. A couple of pushes and they think they wet their pants!

67drake 12-11-2020 06:08 PM

I think I got the idea from a Car Craft magazine.
When I got my drivers license, but before I bought my GTO, I drove my mothers ‘73 Delta 88. Rocket 350 , 2 barrel, single exhaust, and highway gears. I ran a flexible drier duct that I duct taped to the air cleaner snorkel down to under the core support. I then duct taped a big funnel to the end. “It’s got RamAir man!”

north 12-11-2020 06:12 PM

Being a keep it stock guy my craziest mods to a GTO are rather tame to say the least...

1... i once painted the white part of the grill emblem on a 68 goat red instead of white.

2...i once put a red carpet instead of black into that same 68, it had an ivory interior and was solar red outside

I'm still ashamed how I butchered that car.

fyrffytr1 12-11-2020 06:50 PM

My buddy and I put some of the lights that responded to different sound levels under the dash. The whole car would flash to the beat of the music!