PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Can I mix & match brands of clutch disc and pressure plate? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851230)

TPM 06-16-2021 08:39 PM

Can I mix & match brands of clutch disc and pressure plate?

I am getting ready to install the new Tremec TKX in my 65 GTO. The current Centerforce clutch and Centerforce pressure plate only have about 3000 miles on them. I’m hoping to change only the Clutch disc to a Ram 10.5 / 26 spline disc . So is it okay to mix the two brands? I know many will say why not change both, but if the Ram clutch is the same size/style as the Centerforce disc can I do it?
Any input would be appreciated.

tom s 06-16-2021 08:40 PM

I have done it many times.Tom

TedRamAirII 06-16-2021 09:13 PM

The plate doesn't know what brand the disc is. Send it!

padgett 06-16-2021 09:19 PM

Agree. I have a centerforce clutch in mine. Makes low speed cruises much easier on my left leg.

Tom Vaught 06-16-2021 09:51 PM

I personally would install the Ram 10.5 / 26 spline disc (with the centerforce pressure plate, and put some miles on that set-up. The centerforce disc I would take to a place that can do glass beading and have the sided of the clutch "dusted" with the glass-bead material. What this will do if get rid of the excess resins that leaked out of the clutch disc after 3000 miles of usage. Then put it on the shelf for a re-installation down the road. This disc will probably be good enough to last for 100,000 miles after that glass beading process.

After 3000 miles of so remove the Ram 10.5 / 26 spline disc and clean with the glass beader that disc. Now you will have driven both clutch discs (with the centerforce pressure plate) and then install the clutch disc that you were the happiest with.
Either disc should last 3 or 4 times longer in the vehicle with no slippage from the resin boiling off on the flywheel and pressure plate surfaces. THERE WILL BE NO EXCESS RESIN TO BOIL OFF FROM THIS POINT ON.

My last 10.5" disc lasted in the car for 15 years (until I decided to to go to the 455 engine and the 11" clutch parts), and I beat the crap out of that 10.5" set of parts. (I have posted about this clutch system mod several times over the years.) Course if you granny shift and baby the car it will not matter either way.

Tom V.

6T9GTO 06-17-2021 12:50 PM

I bought this disk https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My 10 current 10 spline disk and CF clutch have about the same mileage as the yours.

Are you using your original bellhousing? I am interested in your runout numbers.

TPM 06-17-2021 02:17 PM

Thanks for the responses guys - much appreciated.
Hey 6T9GTO, I’m using the stock bell housing and the run out is .005 - so right and the threshold of what’s acceptable......good to go!
Installing the TKX this weekend.

6T9GTO 06-18-2021 11:14 AM

TPM thanks for the response. I'll be checking my bellhousing this weekend.

TPM 07-31-2021 09:55 PM

Just an update on my Tremec TKX install: it’s been a bit of a struggle. First, the hole for the shifter had to been trimmed back a bit to fit the shifter stick in the console bezel. Next, after drilling two new holes for the trans cross member to move it back (no existing holes in the frame rail could be used), my custom exhaust pipe hit the crossmember. Finally, the new, larger diameter driveshaft will not clear the X pipe. Hoping I can modify the original, smaller driveshaft for proper fitment.....this transmission is definitely not “plug n play” and requires lots of $, time and patience.

tom s 07-31-2021 10:09 PM

I have never bought a "kit" when doing a Tremic.Just bought the trans and did what ever was necessary to get everything in and working.FWIW,Tom

Formulajones 08-01-2021 09:15 AM

Depending on where you buy the kit from they differ a bit and will affect how they fit in certain cars. As far as shifter clearance, I prefer the White Lightening shifter as it is one of the more adjustable and versatile shifters for the TKO on the market. It's $400 though so not the cheapest.

Cross members are the same way, some fit better than others, some will cause interference with exhaust, some have more wiggle room. I prefer the X-factor crossmembers as they are very adjustable, up down fore and aft. Great for getting correct driveline angles and plenty of exhaust clearance. They are $350 however.

Or what Tom did works fine if you don't mind a little fabrication and extra time.

As far as clutch discs go, of course you can swap any brand disc you want in there, but I see no reason to. You can buy the Centerforce disc separate, I've done that many times.

Tom Vaught 08-01-2021 03:43 PM

MY RECOMMENDATION IS
Take the disc with the 3000 miles on it and the resin boiled off and on the surface and have it glass beaded, then install the disc and other parts and forget about those parts for many years. The clutch assy will last a very long time without slippage or chatter.

The resin on the surface is what screws up the ability of the disc and pressureplate to work together properly.

Tom V.