PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   THE LOBBY (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=467)
-   -   'Wow': Drivers urged to use 'magic' one-button trick to defrost the car in minutes (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863092)

NeighborsComplaint 11-27-2022 01:49 PM

'Wow': Drivers urged to use 'magic' one-button trick to defrost the car in minutes

A big shout out this morning to the experts at drivingtestsuccess.com for the revelation that turning my "defrost" to high and letting the car warm up will defrost my windshield. I am so relieved that I will no longer have to scrape my windows or drive with my head out the side window this winter. I've always wondered what that Defrost button actually was for.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...da8ede9fae8236

necdb3 11-27-2022 02:06 PM

With the stupidity that's in this country today, it's probably helpful information.

JSchmitz 11-27-2022 02:09 PM

Humans have reverse natural selection!

imposter 11-27-2022 02:35 PM

now if we can send out a memo about how to turn on the headlights instead of driving around with there daytime driving lights (witch causes no taillights on) we'd be sort of ok

Sirrotica 11-27-2022 04:13 PM

"Twilight sentinel" dumbed up drivers to not use the headlight switch.

Ohio has the windshield wipers on, headlights on, law, but it's not enforced. Maybe the manufacturers could wire cars so that if the wipers are on for longer than using the windshield squirters, so are the headlights, and tail lights, because not many drivers can figure out how to turn them on manually.

Stuart 11-27-2022 04:16 PM

Pretty much everything on msn.com is clickbait.

turbo69bird 11-27-2022 04:48 PM

Man I love this thread . People have gotten so stupid .
Now with self driving and self parking it’s only gonna get worse . The best post is the reverse natural selection. It’s so true .

This thread shows me maybe just maybe there’s hope still.

Simple Man 11-27-2022 07:47 PM

The things you learn online.....

sdbob 11-27-2022 09:03 PM

Amazing. Where we at in the 50s without the msn net? Da!

66sprint6 11-27-2022 09:07 PM

Windscreen. Demister. Air-Con. The article seems to have emanated from Britain.

SRR 11-28-2022 02:36 PM

Headlights

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirrotica (Post 6389420)
"Twilight sentinel" dumbed up drivers to not use the headlight switch.

Ohio has the windshield wipers on, headlights on, law, but it's not enforced. Maybe the manufacturers could wire cars so that if the wipers are on for longer than using the windshield squirters, so are the headlights, and tail lights, because not many drivers can figure out how to turn them on manually.

That feature has been around for a while. My 2001 Mercury Marquis will automatically turn on the headlights 30 seconds after the wipers are turned on. This should be a mandatory feature on all cars.

Sirrotica 11-28-2022 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRR (Post 6389595)
That feature has been around for a while. My 2001 Mercury Marquis will automatically turn on the headlights 30 seconds after the wipers are turned on. This should be a mandatory feature on all cars.

Agree 100%, I don't drive ford products, so I wasn't aware of that feature.

necdb3 11-28-2022 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRR (Post 6389595)

That feature actually started before that with the Lincoln's. You could turn it on or off with the Ford scan tool. I want to think it started when the new body Town car came out in 1998.

Greg Reid 11-28-2022 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imposter (Post 6389411)
now if we can send out a memo about how to turn on the headlights instead of driving around with there daytime driving lights (witch causes no taillights on) we'd be sort of ok

That is something that has been bothering me for years. I think at least part of the blame is on the manufacturers. Every time I've been in a position to observe the interior while passing one of these vehicles, I've noticed that the instrument panel lights are on in spite of the fact that the headlights are off... With a dark instrument panel, even an idiot would realize that something's wrong.

imposter 11-29-2022 12:10 AM

not all idiots, do you think they say to themselves wow the lights are so dim, i hate driving at night, without ever thinking about touching the headlight switch

CATBIRD 11-29-2022 12:11 AM

Fifty years ago the owners manual showed you how to change spark plugs, set the points, and adjust the timing. Modern manuals now use 10 pages warning you not to drink the contents of the radiator

Sirrotica 11-29-2022 01:19 AM

I have a theory of why some people don't turn their lights on in inclement weather, or sometime even when the sun is almost over the horizon. They heard there was an energy shortage, and think that their electric bill would go down if they don't turn on their lights..........:noidea:

Greg Reid 11-29-2022 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imposter (Post 6389733)
not all idiots, do you think they say to themselves wow the lights are so dim, i hate driving at night, without ever thinking about touching the headlight switch

I actually misspoke in my previous comment..
The lights are not dim. They are the headlights, only none of the other lights are on. No markers, no tails. Hard to tell that from the driver's seat and everything looks normal because the instrument panel lights are on.