PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   61-63 Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=427)
-   -   4 door love (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627794)

'62pest 03-17-2010 12:59 PM

4 door love

Yeah yeah I know I've heard it ever since I bought the car. "You'll never be able to sell that 4 door for anything close to what you put in it", "Why don't you spend all the money you have put into that car and buy a 2 door", " 4 doors are ugly". And I am sure you have a few more to say that I have already heqard. But now that I can't find a rear window seal for my 1962 tempest 4 door I am contemplating the idea of turning it into a demolition derby car. I just had the car completly stripped down to have it painted and I swore I seen in steele's catelog the seal that has me so furious that I can't find. Anyway if anyone knows of one or where I can get a new seal I would be the happiest man alive.

mechanickeith 03-17-2010 03:11 PM

try these guys! http://www.restorationspecialties.co...atalog2003.pdf

'62pest 03-17-2010 03:21 PM

No body has the rear window seal for a 4 door. i have called cpr, steele, performance years, ames, kanter, and a local glass shop. The local guy told me to check the internet (ebay) and see what luck I can find. I have checked hemmings motor news and again no luck. Most people I called from hemmings just sell weatherstripping from steele and since they don't have it no one does.

mechanickeith 03-17-2010 03:52 PM

Also try here. http://www.soffseal.com/store/Main.aspx?html=home

'62pest 03-17-2010 04:32 PM

Soffseal has nothing for my car and they refered me to steele because that's where they get their stuff. Steele refered me to karr automotive rubber, I spoke to a guy there that quoted me $325 just for the extrusion die that makes the seal. And that would be with mitered corners that get glued together.

Anyone want to go halfsies with me?

beemergary 03-17-2010 10:10 PM

You wonder if there isn't something out there that had the right shape and radius corners that was bigger. You would just have too cut it down and piece it together. The one thing about these 61-63 tempest you may have to use your imagination.

mechanickeith 03-18-2010 01:32 AM

I searched through the restoration specialties pdf. There is a couple of GM rear window rubbers that may work. Give them a call. Also call Kanter www.kanter.com They have rubber kits. They may have something.

'62pest 03-18-2010 02:44 PM

So I just had this really brilliant idea today after talking to the guy at karr automotive yesterday. He told me he would be able to miter the corners and glue them together to make them. So if he could do that, then why not take 2 window rubbers for a 2 door and cut and glue them together to make 1 bigger window rubber?

I know the 4 door window rubber has to wrap around the corner of the car and the 2 door is narrower, but I guess I need to take a trip to the wrecking yard to see the differance in the 2 windows. I might be on to something.

'62pest 03-24-2010 05:15 PM

Talked tyo bell rd. auto glass today and the guy told me to take my car and glass to him, he might have a solution. Best part is that he is local. The sun is starting to shine and the dark grey clouds are vanishing.

mechanickeith 03-24-2010 09:40 PM

COOL!!!!!!!! Make sure you let us know what you come up with!!! Need pics after its installed. Anything that helps us keep our ropeshaft cars on the road!!!

Keith Seymore 03-25-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '62pest (Post 3944359)
Talked tyo bell rd. auto glass today and the guy told me to take my car and glass to him, he might have a solution. Best part is that he is local. The sun is starting to shine and the dark grey clouds are vanishing.

You may have mentioned and I've forgotten - are you in the Phoenix area?

K

mechanickeith 03-25-2010 09:56 AM

Keith, He is here in the Phx area. I know of 8 62's, 6 63's & 2 61's here in Az. I am sure there are more, just havent found them yet!

'62pest 03-25-2010 09:59 AM

And out of that total, how many are road worthy? I think 5 of those are at dvap on happy valley and 7th ave.

mechanickeith 03-25-2010 10:10 AM

That list does not include all in DVAP, Hidden Valley or Pontiac Heaven. These are all on the road or dragstrip.

'62pest 03-25-2010 10:26 AM

That's more than I thought. Am I still the only registered '62 4 door?

Keith Seymore 03-25-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanickeith (Post 3944890)
Keith, He is here in the Phx area. I know of 8 62's, 6 63's & 2 61's here in Az. I am sure there are more, just havent found them yet!

Thanks.

As an aside, how many '61s did we decide are still around? Remember the guy with the ad that said "14"? I think we clicked that many off just off the top of our collective heads....

K

'62pest 03-25-2010 12:22 PM

What's the chance that a 1962 buick skylark 4 door has the same rear window? A friend found through original parts group, a seal for the buick. I have 1 on backorder right now. I figure its worth a shot.

mechanickeith 03-25-2010 03:12 PM

62pest, You are the only 61-63 4 door on the road in Az, that I know of. I have a 62 that is registered also & I know of 2 63 verts & 1 63 Coupe that is on the road in Az. All the rest of the 61-63's I know of in the state are either in junk yards or are race cars. There was a 62 vert in Tucson & a 62 Coupe in Phx but those have been sold & moved out of state.

You would have to look at the rear window of the Skylark & see what it looks like. I dont know. Anyone have a Hollander interchange book???

Keith, Still no solid answer on how many 61's on the road. My 61 Wagon will be on the road as soon as I can get it up & going, so I will have 2 on that list.

'62pest 03-25-2010 03:35 PM

It kind of fun to know you are the only one of a few to have a certain automobile type on the road. Back in my volkswagen days I owned an oval window, a notchback, a fastback, 2 convertable bugs, a panel bus, and 2 or 3 squarebacks. I kind of have a fond fascination with the oddball makes. Maybe I can blame it on my mother for owning mg's when I was younger.

Keith Seymore 03-25-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanickeith (Post 3945151)

Keith, Still no solid answer on how many 61's on the road. My 61 Wagon will be on the road as soon as I can get it up & going, so I will have 2 on that list.

Plus beemergary's '61 wagon, which is beautiful, and Mike W has a '61 - so there's two more.

K