PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac Business Entities Exchange (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=469)
-   -   Cap-a-Radiator, Farmingdale, NY - BEWARE (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659276)

My442 02-28-2011 06:26 PM

Cap-a-Radiator, Farmingdale, NY - BEWARE

I decided to send my original heater core to Cap-a-Radiator to be refurbished based upon a recommendation from someone on this board.

The price they quoted was really high, so I told them I would think about it. A few months went by, and I decided not to have them work on it.

Sent an e-mail today, and they THREW IT AWAY IN THE TRASH!

No call to ask if I wanted it back.

The owner was accusatory, and blamed me for the issue.

Be aware before you consider them as a shop to repair your parts.

I never had anything like this happen to me in three decades of car restoration.

They also do business under "Classic Radiator".

The owner is Bill Carberry, and he does not understand customer service.

Formulabruce 02-28-2011 07:09 PM

What did you expect? Free storage? If they stored everyone's items that decided they didn't want work, MONTHS later, they would be outta business... cant blame them a bit.
You sent it, its Your responsibility to get it it shipped back, in a Timely manner.
No I dont work there, but have helped a friend run a business, and they are not in business to store stuff, be repsonsible for it while customers make decisions. YOU could have made the decision and called back, after all whos part is it anyway.
Sorry if this sounds sarcastic, but to them its not a hobby, its a business.

firebirdcrazy1959 02-28-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My442 (Post 4251809)
I decided to send my original heater core to Cap-a-Radiator to be refurbished based upon a recommendation from someone on this board.

The price they quoted was really high, so I told them I would think about it. A few months went by, and I decided not to have them work on it.

Sent an e-mail today, and they THREW IT AWAY IN THE TRASH!

No call to ask if I wanted it back.

The owner was accusatory, and blamed me for the issue.

Be aware before you consider them as a shop to repair your parts.

I never had anything like this happen to me in three decades of car restoration.

They also do business under "Classic Radiator".

The owner is Bill Carberry, and he does not understand customer service.

Not trying to be stupid but your statement says it all.

sleepy 02-28-2011 07:54 PM

I could see being mad if it was a couple days and they chucked it, BUT MONTHS? Nope, that's all on you.

68lemansman 02-28-2011 07:59 PM

I know one guy who restore cars he kept some of the stuff that came off the cars but he only kept them cause the owners replaced them with newer parts. I know this other guy he does the same thing. if nobody comes back to claim the parts after 30 days he either junks them or sells them. I would have to agree with that. If its a business and its been a few months then Im guessing the owners thought you just abandoned the part and made room for other customers. Or thats what it sounds like!

242177P 02-28-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My442 (Post 4251809)
... so I told them I would think about it.

And that's the last time you had contact with them? Sorry, but it really sounds like you dropped the ball...

Put yourself in their shoes. Most heater cores aren't special, and you can readily obtain a replacement for under $50. There are plenty of people who would balk just at paying the shipping costs alone.

The only thing which befuddles me is why you decided to send them an e-mail, but expected a phone call. :noidea: