PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Boost (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=495)
-   -   6h or edl 87 cc (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735702)

Krow 08-26-2013 04:05 PM

6h or edl 87 cc

I posted for a 6h head earlier today and a fellow pontiacer got me thinking.
I tried to sell a blower setuup on this sight and couldnt so im goin to use it and had a set of the 6h laying arond took it to my machinist and the one head was cracked Now i have aset of 87 edl but would need a thick head gasket the motor is 455 +30 zero decked with two valve reliefs i looked at jegs and cometic has .140 thickness to lower the the compression to around 8:5 now price for diff headers and the $400 for a set of cometic .140 head gaskets but also hate to hav $2000 of the aluminum heads laying around... Ive read your boost section alot and you guys know what your talking about what would younguys go with? Thanks

ponjohn 08-26-2013 07:57 PM

I don't think it is ideal to use thick HG especially with boost.

Mo 08-27-2013 12:06 AM

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ighlight=heads

Here is a link to a post about head choices for boosted motors.

What are your HP goals? Street or strip? Pump gas? Need more input.

Thanks

AG 08-27-2013 07:19 AM

Have you CC'd the heads to verify the size?

PONTIAC LARRY 08-27-2013 07:35 AM

You can get another 6H head for nearly nothing. I think I have a pair saved for the same reason. How about we trade ? :)

Krow 08-27-2013 09:32 AM

6H

yea sure we can trade...replying to the other post its for a street car no more then 5-6lb
the pulleys are ratioed at 1:1 its going in a convertable..HP rating? im not concerned with that i hav this 6-71 and want to use it and my 6h head it not useable so i have 87cc edles i thought i would use but it puts static at marginal for pump gas and we do not have e-85 here 93 is the highest... thanks for responding

70 bird 08-27-2013 07:45 PM

For a street car, sell the e-heads and pocket the cash. Pick up another set of smog heads for cheap and boost away with pump gas.:)

Mo 08-27-2013 07:50 PM

If you really want the blower on pump gaswith your current shortblock then you'll need to use the big chamber heads. Here is a link of head choices that match the the 6H. There are quite a few choices but not all have screw in studs or all of the exhaust bolt holes.
http://www.spottsperformance.com/head%20id

I think you could use a thicker gasket with eheads and make a ton of power just on motor but what fun is that?

Tough decision!

Did you pick out a cam?

ponjohn 08-27-2013 09:42 PM

I have a pair of large chamber d-ports, whatever casting was in the 114cc area.

Let me know.

BruceWilkie 08-27-2013 10:54 PM

Hmm... 5-6 lbs max boost with aluminum heads and a blower friendly cam... could run in the 9-9.5:1 range(maybe a tid more) without too much issue... IF...you use a simple homemade water/alky injection system. A basic homemade system sytem that simply uses boost to push the water should be adequate detonation control. No fancy expensive controller or pumps required for this... Boost itself and a small jet about .040"( two carbs would want a pair of jets and nozzles) regulates it and start of injection can be controlled with an adjustable vent between the water tank and carb entrance. I ran 20+ psi on my old corvair turbo on mid 70's excuse for premium with this type system... I used wintergrade window washer solvent (-20F rated) ... A gallon was usually good for at least one tank of gas unless I was playin hard.

turbo69bird 08-27-2013 11:16 PM

You should be able to run up to 9.5 to 1 w aluminum heads and relatively low boost say under 10 psi. Of course this depends in how much timing you put in it and how fat your running it.
I turbo intercooler motor would have more octane tolerance then a blower without inter cooling but as Bruce said water meth will help a great deal by cooling the air charge as well as raising octane levels.

As for the iron heads they have lower octane tolerance as far as static compression goes but selling your heads puts some $$ in your pocket.

Just choose a route tune properly for it and enjoy. Thick head gaskets aren't bad we've run them on many different brands but its a lot like sinking the piston in the hole which causes some issues in itself so just be aware of that.

Sounds like a cool build boost is always a great choice if you tune it correctly.

BruceWilkie 08-27-2013 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres some ideas for you... I used the Dick Griffin version shown at bottom but the Crown type system is simple too. might have to enlarge this...

Krow 08-28-2013 08:25 AM

6H

Hey thanks for the replies... there are many diff options i guess it all works its just how you want to get there

PONTIAC LARRY 08-28-2013 03:48 PM

Krow, What State are you in?

Krow 08-28-2013 04:25 PM

6H

I'm in the state of New Jersey

Krow 08-28-2013 04:53 PM

I like to thank you guys who posted
Mo thanks for the article
bruce Wilkie, turbo69bird, 70 bird, PonJohn and Pontiac Larry
I have been out of cars for over 20 yrs and recently got back into it and want to build a blown pontiac there are new ways of doing things,from that time frame are diff its alot to take in and there are many ways to get useable power, back then you couldnt even find much for a pontiac now there is so much you can do in so many diff ways... I appreciate your time and all the help from you guys, a little mind blowing i tell you either way thanks

Krow 08-28-2013 04:59 PM

Larrrry i was only joking about the trade as you were

Krow 08-28-2013 05:15 PM

Hey Mo your right you have a blower to run boost

PONTIAC LARRY 08-28-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krow (Post 5009271)
Larrrry i was only joking about the trade as you were

I know, I was just thinking if I sold you a 6H or two

Krow 08-28-2013 07:53 PM

yea i need one head how much you looking to get for it...is it complete or bare?
thanks