PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Body Shop TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Can this FS radiator be saved? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769792)

pressthatpedal 02-16-2015 11:10 PM

Can this FS radiator be saved?

5 Attachment(s)
I'm so frustrated about this. Can a good radiator shop get these tanks restored back to original condition? I was so psyched to get a hold of an original Harrison FS radiator in great condition for my 70 TA project. And this is how the seller shipped it to me. Box too small for it and no packing at all. Hose ends and drain plug poking thru the cardboard, bent and ground down. I don't want to replace the tanks being original CU and IF stamped.

Formulabruce 02-16-2015 11:13 PM

Can be done, tanks off and complete rebuild. Im sure there is someone somewhat local that people on here can trust. I bet 400 anyway to fix and recore

4dblnkldude 02-17-2015 12:24 AM

Jeez, what wacker for not packing it well enough. I feel for you, its happened to me plenty.

FunctionalShaker 02-17-2015 12:26 AM

Someone skilled in metal working should be able to salvage those mangled spouts. The seller owes you a partial refund.

Brewster 02-17-2015 01:06 PM

I have a guy in Norway Michigan that many members have used. Larsen Radiator Service, Inc.
Ask for Ed (906) 563-5639 and tell him Brian sent yah

necdb3 02-17-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pressthatpedal (Post 5359098)
I'm so frustrated about this. Can a good radiator shop get these tanks restored back to original condition? I was so psyched to get a hold of an original Harrison FS radiator in great condition for my 70 TA project. And this is how the seller shipped it to me. Box too small for it and no packing at all. Hose ends and drain plug poking thru the cardboard, bent and ground down. I don't want to replace the tanks being original CU and IF stamped.

Definitely fixable. Once the tanks are off, straightening the tanks is easy. If push comes to shove, you can solder in new hose nipples.

pressthatpedal 02-17-2015 11:30 PM

Brewster, thanks for the lead on someone good. It will take someone real good with metal to bring it back without looking like crap, and still able to hold pressure. I told the seller I wanted a partial refund, and now he's gone silent. I'll give him more time before trying to hunt him down. Thanks guys!

b-man 02-17-2015 11:51 PM

Moving this to the the body shop tech forum.

Perhaps one of our metal-straightening experts can recommend someone or the best course of action.

pressthatpedal 02-18-2015 08:54 AM

Seller is a stand up guy who came through with a part refund on it, now just got to get the tanks put back to original condition.

'ol Pinion head 02-18-2015 10:35 AM

When buying a specialty core radiator to have recored, have to go to great lengths to package, crate, and ship. The shipping price will typically far exceed the value of the bulky core.

As most such radiators need its much , much easier to carefully wrap up and box the tanks and rails and send them without the scrap core. That's how do it here. Good luck on having your tanks metal worked.