PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Likely an ill advised rant..... (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849276)

bbnotop 03-23-2021 04:40 PM

Likely an ill advised rant.....

It is 1:30 west coast time, and I just poured my first bourbon. Likely a bad call when your morning has been trying to suppress the urge to beat a Vintage Air evaporator unit into jagged pieces. Like most of us I love to see folks recommending Vintage Air on these forums, because that's the one I bought, but holy f%#K, what a pain in the ass. Do not believe their "easy installation" claims. I am putting it in '64 Lemans that is totally stripped, nothing in way on the dash. There are two blind 1/4" bolts sticking out the back of this unit which go through the firewall. Begin the process with a really tight fit with absolutely minimal ability to see what you doing and add fighting two high pressure lines and two heater hose lines, that must be hooked up before installation, and are being forced to bend in tight ways that they do not want to bend. The result? Over a day's futile work, cussing to the point of scaring the neighbors, scratched paint, waiting to hear the aforementioned expensive evaporator crack from all the man handling, and no closer to being in than yesterday. So angry I can't see straight. Nothing more, just needed to rant.

ignaro 03-23-2021 05:58 PM

I've got a big bucket of ice with a handy scooper if you wanna trade...

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

ZeGermanHam 03-23-2021 06:13 PM

Did you spray the rubber lines with soapy water to allow them to move more freely during install?

bbnotop 03-23-2021 08:02 PM

I did spray them down, which so far has only allowed one grommet to pull out of the kick plate bracket, which is also loose. Turned out to be a nice day, so instead a garden project got done. Shoveling is less frustrating.

bbnotop 03-28-2021 04:17 PM

Mercy, that was tough, but finally got it in. Ended up having to pull 3 of the 4 hoses out of being routed through the kickplate (one pressure hose can only go through plates one way due to an end fitting) and laid them inside the car. Then installed unit, then, with the help of a friend, threaded the hose back through. The lines being made to make a sharp "S" immediately off the evaporator was just too much resistance to overcome to be able to mount it. Had two guys and a jack under the dash trying to do it with the lines in place and couldn't do it.

76TA462 03-28-2021 05:15 PM

Shlit, now I'm worried. Just started ordering parts for the VA to go in my 76 TA.

bbnotop 03-28-2021 06:45 PM

The reason that I titled my original post an ill advised rant was because I was posting while being pissed. Now that it is in, feeling much better about the unit. You may not have the same problems as I am sure the installation is different with a later year TA. I have heard lots of good reviews of VA. Good luck.

bbnotop 03-28-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignaro (Post 6236175)
I've got a big bucket of ice with a handy scooper if you wanna trade...

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Funny, thanks for the offer, but no.

76TA462 03-28-2021 07:00 PM

Me too, heard good reviews. Thanks for the added comment. I removed my old AC system in the eighties. No big deal then, and it was my daily, did what I had to. But now its a fun car and I am less tolerant of the stinky hot riding, especially being spoiled by modern driving. With the VA I am putting an end to loosing too many riding opportunities.

Scarebird 03-28-2021 09:01 PM

VA's mounting bracketry leaves a lot to be desired.

bbnotop 03-29-2021 12:20 PM

Scarebird, that is putting it diplomatically.....

Scarebird 03-29-2021 02:25 PM

We actually made a small run of brackets to fix the charlie-fox way they had it mounted.

Jonsey 05-07-2021 06:28 PM

Mounting the evaporator with the lines attached is the toughest part of the install for sure. I cursed it as well. It is worth it once cool air is blowing on your face!