Thread: 454 or 455
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

I don't know what Chevy guys some of you are talking to??? I was a Chevy guy for about 15 years. I had respect for all makes and models. Ford, Chrysler, Buick and Pontiac all put out fast cars. You guys who are talking about the Chevy elitists are talking to the wrong people. Most of my buddies who were into Chevelles and Camaros also LOVED GTO's. Everyone knows GTO's were fast. So were Chevelles. So were 442's, and Buick GS's. If you don't know that you are in the wrong hobby.

Let's look at it another way take 1970:

70 GS Stage 1
70 Chevelle L-S6
70 442 W-30
70 GTO 400 Ram Air IV
70 426 Hemi Cuda
69-1/2 440 6 pack Road Runner

All fast, all great looking cars. On any given day not one of them is going to totally dominate the field. One day the Chevelle might be the top car and the next it might be the GTO, or the Hemi. What about engine trans combo's?? You guys make blanket statements about motors you don't consider the set up. I'll take a small block 4 speed Camaro with 3:73 gears and smoke you're fully loaded 400, auto, 3:23 geared, air conditioned GTO anyday. Does that make Chevy better than Pontiac?? NO, only if you don't know what you're talking about. The next day someone else's 400 Ram Air 68 Firebird might smoke a big block Chevelle. There is more to racing/power than engine size. I'll tell you Pontiac purists one thing, in all the musclecar stock drags I have ever read about it's usually a GS Stage 1, a Hemi Mopar and a big block Camaro that dominate. I have read a lot about the pure stock drags and those are usually the 3 big hitters. I don't see too many Pontiacs making it deep into the finals.

I don't even want to get into the driver himself. I don't care if you have 600HP on tap if you can't drive, I'll smoke you with my 97 Tahoe.

Look last time I looked it was a free country, if TA454 wants to run a big block Chevy in his TA, what do I care?? Running a big block Chevy in a track car is fine in my book. If he had a 70 Judge Convertible and he pulled out the Ram Air IV for a 454 then I might think he's got a screw loose.

I like Pontiac and Chevy the best. For a lot of years I had Chevelles, but I really liked GTO's as well. My 67 Chevelle with a SMALL BLOCK ran 13.34. I built the motor for about $2000.00. That's pretty cheap to get low 13's on street tires. When I came across a nice Pontiac convertible, I sold my Chevelle and bought the Pontiac. Personally, my Pontiac is kind of rare (1 of 2800 made) so I will stick to a Pontiac motor. But I don't see why it's such a cardinal sin for a guy to drop a big block Chevy in his track car. Give the guy a break his car runs in the 10's. That's faster than I have ever run.

Last edited by 71SportRagtop; 12-07-2005 at 11:46 AM.