View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO
Uh? Pontiac still does that...they sell TONS of G6/Grand Prix, etc. The GTO didn't "fail". It was never MEANT to be a high volume car. You're only right in your own mind..nothing else.
Yeah, in retrospect, I shouldn't have said failed. Let's just say it wasn't a "rousing success". What I'd predicted was that it wouldn't take off. It was a 3-year marketing experiment that didn't generate enough interest to warrant continuance. IF they hadn't had to discount them to get them to sell, IF they hadn't had dealers, who'd taken the plunge, with them sitting on their lots, IF they hadn't had mechanical issues, IF they hadn't had to wait for replacement parts when something failed and IF they had the styling to appeal to their target buyers (due to the high price), they might have been a success.

And the success of the G6/Grand Prix simply goes to prove my point about making the Goat an upscale performance model, doesn't it? The G6 didn't even have a 2-door model when it came out.

Look at Ford's success with the MACH1 in comparison. The Goat's a better car in most respects and still can't generate the same excitement. I'm sorry it can't, I'd like to have seen it continue, it's a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBLER
I was going to say, yeah, maybe if you cut out 2 doors...and that may just be the next GTO. An up tier G8 called a GTO though, put the pipe down...
Once again, if you want the Goat to be a success, it needs to have a base model, JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL DID. And, the G6 and (fwd)Grand Prix didn't have a 2-door model when they first came out.

No pipe-smokers, here, get your head out of the clouds and live in the real world for a change. The goal of any car model is sales, if you want to see them stay on the market they have to bring in more than it costs to get them to the consumer.

Rich