View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Its not a matter of removing the heat from the water in the radiator part of the system. its more critical to remove heat from the engine as the water circulates through it. It must remove heat from the hot spots and yet maintain a proper and reasonable range of temperatures so that the engine operates efficiently and the radiator can remove enough heat from the water. removing heat from the water flowing thru the radiator is rearly the problem.

The question that must be answered is does the water do a sufficient job of removing the heat from the engine. As it is the engine that is over heating. not the water frlowing through the radiator. A cooling system the size of lake erie does not guarentee the ENGINE wont overheat. And as a matter of record most people will agree it is the engine that does overheat. High volume water pumps only pump a high volume of water. they do nothing else for the rest of the system

The term "SUFFICIENT" gets thrown around alot but it would be wrong to presume that anything above and beyond sufficient is a good or better thing. Just like with oil pumps. Too much pressure starts to cause problems in other parts of the system. No difference. If it is sufficient why not leave it alone. The fact is that what is sufficient for one set of circumstances may not be for another.

Typically most radiators do a fine job of removing heat as long as the water is in the readiator long enough to transfer the heat. Most drag racing vehicles can get away with a very small radiator as it only has to do a little work for a very short period of time. On the road is a whole nother story. cant design the system to operate at the extreams and then actually operate it in the average. You will be chasing shadows to correct problems.

Gota use a thermostadt if your going to run aluminium heads. You gotta keep the temps up with aluminum heads or you will blow gaskets.

Might consider some sort of switch for your electrical pump that alters the rpm's based on temp rather that a constant speed switch.

as for my statement above regarding the warnings I have recieved it was in response to an attempt by somebody to discredit my answers simply because I got those warnings. They're reply seems to have been removed so my response seems out of context. My apologies to OTHER readers of this thread.

Last edited by Pontirag; 02-17-2008 at 09:12 AM.