View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 474injun
It seems to me that there was a bolt in A to G body rear end bolt kit from Southside Machine or lakewood. I am currently running a fairly strong 474 Pontiac in a 1978 Grand Lemans and I fear the 3.73 7.5 10 bolt is not going to cut the mustard much longer, I would like to hear from anyone who has done this or knows if the parts are even available anymore. Thanks gents.
I think that Southside Machine has "dropped" their "conversion" arms. I've heard that JEGS now offers them in their own brand. "Iceman"; a sponsor of Maliburacing offers a "conversion" upper control arm that does what your wanting to do. I have them on my Lemans. They run $120.00 plus shipping (that was 4 years ago). That is all that is needed to do the swap as far as that stuff goes. If your going to run 15 X 8 wheels you'll need a wheel with 5.5 BS. I run a 15 X 10 on my Lemans with 6.5 BS. If you go with the 8" wheel on the 68' - 72' A- Body rear; you'll need to grind the corner off the shock bracket and maybe "round" the head off of the shock bolt itself.
The G-Body emergency brake cables will also reach back; but you'll have to spread the serated fins out a little further to keep them in the backing plates. FWIW; I used the 8.5 10 bolt out of a 72' Olds Cutlass. I'm not sure how much longer or shorter it is than a 12-bolt chevy; but I shortened my drive shaft about 3/4" if I remember correctly. It could have worked; but it was a little too "tight" for my liking.
FWIW; the 68-72 A-body will bolt in with no "conversion" arms at all. BUt you'll have to "force" them in with an impact (the upper control arm bolts)). I've seen it done and watched the cars go some mid 1.50 60 ft. But you can tell that they're in a slight bind.
Hope this helps.