View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Chief

hey folks, quick update, logged about a tank of gas, some serious blasts, and a bunch of idling/tuning time, and not a drop underneath. what a feeling, it's NEVER been this way, since i started building this thing a couple of years ago......

only issues now, i have a serious lean condition off idle, and it almost seems intermittent. i have an innovate a/f gauge, so i can monitor ratios at all times. the car used to stay a steady 12.5 to 13.0 at all rpm's, all pedal depths, (heavy load, light load, etc..) but now, i have good idle, 12.5 to 13.0, (it likes it there.) but as soon as i tip in, it starts to creep up into the 15's and 16's, and start falling over itself. every once in awhile, i will feel the power kick in, and the ratio immediately drops into the 13's. i have torn these carbs down several times, checked for pressure, obstructions from tank, the only thing i can think of, is with this new cam, maybe i am pulling more vacuum/different signal, and i just need to recalibrate for it. they worked fine for my first cam, and the solid stick i had, with more duration, same lobe sep, so who knows. i tried different power piston springs, but with this much power available, you don't ever really get into the rods coming up, at a good 1/3 to half throttle, i still have 8hg or vacuum on the carbs! of course i am going into boost by now, so there isn't ever really a need to hit that point in the carbs unless you are onto your way to full throttle anyway, and by then, the secondaries kick in, and it drops a bit, 13's, but not like it used to be, mid 12.s

man, i got into full throttle twice, and this thing is NUTS. sooo much torque, you can just blow the tires off with a little nudge of the pedal at a good roll, back off, then a little more, until they start slippin' again, ease off, back into it, etc, until you are moving at a good clip. when i finally got my foot into it all the way, it just pulled and pulled and pulled. can't wait to get some times at the track. i'm sure my 60 ft's will stink, but the top end should be alright. i plan on taking it easy on her at the track until i get more comfortable launching this thing. maybe it will be loads better with my bf drag radials, i'm sure it will.......

so, i just got a couple of tuning kits,(edelbrock, edelbrock carbs, yeah, i know, but they work good MOST of the time for me and the blower setup... ) and am going to richen the heck out of the primary circuit, and go from there..........

more later folks!!

davey