View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

ahhhhh.. finally got my carbs tuned. it took me many hours to figure out what the hell was going on, but i did it. it was a multitude of things. jetting, unequal idles, primary rod to primary jet relation, you name it......

so here is where i had to go. it doesn't sound right, it looks awful on paper, but it runs great, and the readings are spot on with the a/f meter, an innovate cable model i have permanently installed. (man, did that thing pay itself off!!!!)

factory calibrations for an edelbrock 1407:

750cfm. primary jets: .113" secondary jets: .107" primary rod: .071" x .047" orange spring, (5"hg) needles and seats: .098".

here is where i ended up at:
primary jets: .118" (home made...) secondary jets: .116" primary rods: .065" x .037" step up spring: silver, (8"hg) needles and seats: .110".

yes, it looks like a gas guzzling whore, but if i ran it any different, it just wouldn't run right. i might be able to go a bit leaner on the big side of the primary rod, part throttle cruise, to a .068", but the tip is .047", and i don't want to lose my full throttle setting i have. (a/f reading of 13.0) i wish they made a .068 X .037, but it only comes in .068 X .047, and you have to do that in between step with a jet change, and i don't feel like tearing them apart for the tenth time to get that. (maybe later......) you have to have the gas pedal at an insane depth to ever make the step up spring pull the rods up, even with the stiffest springs, basically full throttle. (i idle at about 12" at the carbs, 10"hg at the manifold, so i can't go any stiffer...)

i had 5 lbs of boost, and i was just starting to hit 5"hg at the carbs. yes it drops to zero, but you better be hanging on to get there, 'cuz you gotta have the pedal to the metal to hit zero.....

so, my readings are:
idle, 13.5 a/f

part throttle cruise:
(all the way up to 70mph, carbs are literally only cracked maybe an 1/8" each....)

heavy acceleration:
12.5 to 13.5

full throttle: (3 to 4 seconds tops....while hanging on for dear life........and loving every moment....... )
13.0 (this seems a little high, but i will know more when i go to the track......)

i have put about 150 miles on her, and she hasn't skipped a beat. feels good. i did a 150 mile oil change today, had slight coppery flaking,(hoping it's just the thrust finding a home, looked like it, no big chunks, just fine sprinkles......) all looked good. i have great oil pressure, although my oil temps creep all the way up to 260 degrees on the highway for extended times, i am hardblocked, and (searched one here) saw that steve c had the same issues. it comes down instantly to 230 when at a stop, but if you are 3000rpm's for more than ten minutes, it gets hot. how hot do any of you get???????

all in all, i feel i finally have most of the major running gear sorted. i am installing an MSD box later, and my distributor is getting checked out, and i am putting on the crane vacuum can for some experimenting. more updates on that later. she's all put back together, scoop, hoods, etc, and loving the road........

oh, i am going to bend,oregon this weekend, (3 1/2 hour drive...) so i will have some mileage numbers for the curious... yes, i am scared to know what it is too.........

alright peeps, dinner time, take 'er easy........

davey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	133191