View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

file under street legal racing humor =Bugs eat Rice. while working for a certain company that will remain nameless, i took a company-branded "new" VW bug--stock, non turbo stick car-- to detroit. strict restrictions on the use of company vehicles in terms of speeding etc--if the boss got a complaint, you were pretty much axed from using the company cars--including the museum fleet--and could lose your job. somewhere out around Pontiac one night on this trip, i'm coming back from grabbing some eats on a pretty empty 4-lane road that has about 4 lights in the road about an 1/8 mile apart. 45 or 55 mph road, can't quite remember. the light's red and some decked out rice pulls up next to me and revs it. no clue where he came from, sort of a middle of nowhere industrial area. i don't give him a look beyond a sideways glance without turning my head to see if he wants to try something, don't even give him a rev to clue him in. light goes green so i just give it a nice half throttle non-clutch dumping launch, run it to the speed limit through 2 gears and slow for the next red. meanwhile, next to then behind me i hear all kinds of high revs, tire squealing etc. kid pulls up to the red, tries again. result same. repeat for no. 3, except i can tell this lil' boy is truly beyond pissed. last light i really launch it off the light, kid still can't hang with the bug, i get second and hear the kid miss his shift and over-rev it to the moon. a couple hundred feet later as i go on my way still within the speed limit with a ****-eating grin from ear-to-ear I see him pop on the four-ways and pull onto the shoulder. I never once exceeded the speed limit or smoked the tires (OK, a bit of squeal on the last one), the old and new bugs were always good out of the hole, something he must not have known.