Thread: 2004R
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
Speaking of lockups, I have experimented with locking up the trans in 2nd gear but the shifts become too violent. I know some Buick GN guys that swear by it, but in our cars, the rears felt like they were going to be torn out! NO THANKS. And that's coming from someone who has always liked my trannys to provide an authoritative firm/hard shift.

Locking up prior to 3rd gear seems like alot of risk to put on the line for a miniscule amount of potential quarter mile improvement.
I agree,
Locking 2nd gear wouldn't be worth it. The main advantage I see to locking it up while drag racing, would be to increase MPH and slightly (maybe) increase ET with locking it in 3rd gear only.
Most cars would still need the torque multiplication in 2nd gear IMO, and would ET better unlocked in 2nd. Obviously it's one of those situations where "it depends". Combo dependent.
I would think that unless you had ALOT of power (or a really sloppy converter), the torque multiplication would be more beneficial.
Maybe a really light combo with moderate power would work OK locking in 2nd and 3rd.
Although the turbo factor does change it a bit, because the turbos like to be "loaded".

As I stated in a previous post, the really fast GN guys are using more and more of the PTC converters. I thought it was pretty neat because I've been recommending the PTC's for a while based on personal experience with them when another converter company dropped the ball on me.
They seemed to be the best "bang for the buck" converter out there to me. PTC was founded by some of the original TCI guys before Bill Taylor sold the name. When he did so, they left and formed their own converter company. Kenny Ford being the main one.
He KNOWS his stuff. He's been building converters for a long time.
They weren't really big on the radar for awhile, kind of a local phenomenon I guess. However they are getting some recognition for their really efficient converters with the GN crowd.
I may try one on a 4L80E project in the future.

I've also mentioned Edge. Seems to be along the same lines.

Neither company is a "budget" converter company but both seem to be really competitive for the quality they sell, and both seem to do whatever it takes to make you happy.

But on the topic of locking up in 2nd,
the 2-3 shift on a 200-4R is one of the roughest on parts, and the 3-4 can be brutal on the 200-4R too because the calibration gets very firm very quick with mods and a 3 clutch OD setup. (Same deal on the 4L80E, I usually don't even drill the 4th feed hole on them anymore).
The 200-4R in my Chevelle would sometimes chirp the tires on a WOT 3-4 shift At 110-115 mph...
I had to back off the hole sizing and accumulator mods.