View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ford = "Made in Mexico?"

I remember all the crap GM got for using a "Jap Engine" when they released the Duramax in 2001. I wonder if Ford will face the same backlash on their new Powerstroke?

Ford unveils new diesel for big trucks

Quote:
After years of battles over its Navistar-provided diesel engines, Ford Motor Co. on Tuesday showed off a new diesel engine -- code name: Scorpion -- that it has been quietly developing for the past two years for its popular Super Duty pickup trucks.

Ford revealed the new 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 engine, which weighs about 160 pounds less than the outgoing model, to journalists and analysts at a technical center in Dearborn.

The automaker said the new engine is just as durable as the outgoing model but quieter.

By developing its own engine, Ford officially ends its relationship with the Illinois-based Navistar International Corp. for its Super Duty diesel engines that dates to 1979.

But analysts said that Ford's decision to develop and build its own diesel engine for the Super Duty line of pickups will give the company greater control over the heart of its heavy-duty pickups and it will better position the company to respond to market demand.

"They have had ongoing issues with Navistar for years now," said Mike Omotoso, an automotive analyst for J.D. Power and Associates. "I know that the Scorpion will be made in Mexico, so just the labor costs alone will be significantly cheaper."