View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Latest Blunder - Today

Have been repainting my 68 Goat in my one car garage. Have not started car in the 2 1/2 months that I have been working on it. After the spraying of paint I left car where it was for the color sanding,buffing, interior cleanup, and just general cleanup and detail. I have a sissor jack that makes body work much easier. I have had three back surgery's and the jack enables me to work on rockers and lower area of car without having to bend over to bad.When I though I had finished this weekend I wanted to drive car and show it off because it did turn out beautiful. When I started car it is hard to describe the noise. It sounded like someone trying to beat their way out of a barrel with a sledge hammer.I looked and could not find any reason for it. My first cousin has a first class mechanical repair shop about 8 miles from me. I called him and he said he had a drive on rack free if I wanted to bring car down and work on it myself. I went and got his rollback and carried my car to his shop. To make a long story short, when I jacked car up with sissor jack I had placed the rubber foot on the left side of the trans crossmember instead of the frame and bent it up toward the floor. This mashed the driveshaft and front u-joint up against the floor. Evertime the driveshaft turned over, the u-joint cup would impact the floor.My point is, with me anyway, I am an ongoing blunder. Now I have the car on frame machine and will pull crossmember back in place tomorrow morning.