Thread: My 71 Project
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I can report that there has been concerted effort this morning to get work done on my car....rust is now all repaired, car is ready for priming of the repaired sections...the firewall, front and rear screen mount areas and the dashtop.
I went down to the shop this morning and stayed there until it was done...helping out, doing some sanding etc. I wasn't going to leave because as long as I stayed there, he couldn't wander off and do something else....lol. :lol:
After talking with the shop owner, I've decided to leave the front and rear screens out until its painted....easier to dry strip the old paint and a cleaner, neater job in the end...and no risk of accidently damaging a screen.
At least all the rust is now repaired.
Here you can see where the conversion back to LHD has been done....the filled firewall and the booster mount relocated to the LH side. The new column drop I got has been welded into location inside.

Heres one of the rear upper seat belt mounts I had fabricated and fitted. A top feeding inertia reel will locate in the bottom of the well section....there will be a brace that runs down to the inner wheel well to further reinforce the mount. When the rear is all trimmed, the belt will feed out like a late model car from under the trimmed deck.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia