View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see both sides of this issue. I emailed Don personally 'cause I'm interested in everything about the '64. My '64 4 spd convert is a 4 bbl car albeit one that was converted to T-P prior to it winding up on a used car lot in Reno in 1966. I consider that an interesting factoid, but my car is excluded from Don's registry. Still I have offered to "participate" because I think it is an interesting exercise.

Larry, your point about discovering a circle of guys with a common interest in a particular car is a very good one. That common interest helps develop a camaraderie and if some new names come on board to this forum, I welcome it.

Isn't a shared interest and camaraderie a big reason why we congregate at this forum and join such organizations as POCI & GTOAA?

I also agree with Eric's points. I don't think you will ever come close to uncovering all of the existing examples for the reasons he mentions. I made a similar comment to Bill in reference to the '65 registry. We had a friendly disagreement. No matter. It isn't so important to worry about the ones that can't be uncovered as it is interesting to see what new ones can be uncovered. Just this week I pointed Bill to a '65 that appeared in the March issue of Auto Restorer mag. Hopefully he'll get to add it to his registry and perhaps there'll be another new member joining in here.

Some hobbyists get some satisfaction in thinking their example is one of a select few on the planet.

I have always found satisfaction in expanding the circle. Along those lines, I have always been interested in the "lesser" '64 A body models since they share a lot more similarities with the '64 GTO than differences.

It is impossible to track all cars that may eventually be listed on a registry. A year or two from now, a car will be sold and the new owner will be "lost". Keeping the registry current will likely be a monumental task.

I agree with Eric, generating any statistically relevant info from a registry will be impossible.

But if a bunch of guys with similarly equipped GTOs form a registry "group" and enjoy a little camaraderie, I see that as a good thing. Keeping it so limited has the side benefit of keeping it more manageable. Just wish I owned a qualifying '64 GTO!