View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '60 Catalina Mild Custom Project

By popular demand (actually, 60man asked to see some pictures ), I thought I'd start a thread on the progress on my '60 Cat (now that there is some progress). I bought the car out of Reno, NV a couple of years back and I work on it as I get a chance. My plan is to build a mild custom similar to the style of the '60's which my wife Ellen can also race from time to time. Since I've started, I've used my MIG welder to patch a few rust areas and fill in the back-up light areas. I removed the Pontiac letters front and back and removed the chrome trim pieces that ran along the upper rear quarters and surrounded the taillights. I've replaced all that with sheet metal patch pieces. I also removed the door handles, but I got a little ahead of myself there: if Ellen is going to race the car, I need to put them back on, so that's what I'll do.

Paul Carter of Koerner Race Engines is doing the engine. We're using the original '60 block (they're noted for their strength) but we're updating it with a forged stroker crank, some old Edelbrock heads I had around, an aluminum '66 tripower intake and carbs I got off eBay and a set of Ram Air Restorations long branch round port headers. I bought an adapter kit to bolt the '60 block to a TH400, so I'll have to modify the rear trans mount and shorten the front half of the driveshaft. For now, I'll use the original open rear end, but the eventual plan is to go to a posi unit.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'60 front low angle.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	250641   Click image for larger version

Name:	'60 rear quarter.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	250642  

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines