View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
The column is put together properly. There is no "adjustment" of the locking plate and cancel cam, it only goes on one way. It is keyed with the teeth on the splines of the column. See the pictures:

So basically the smooth surface missing a spline is supposed to be at 12 o'clock but is instead closer to 10. The intermediate shaft to the steering column mount also has a keyed spline interface and only goes on one way as well. I just don't get how this can be so far off. The car tracks straight and level, but the tie rods are definitely not even (one is a good 1" longer than the other). I'm kind of stumped on this one right now.

Since your steering colum parts check out and line up, and the tie rods are not even on each side, then I think that is where it is off, someone must have rebuilt the front end
and did not index the pitman arm to the new tierod ends correctly, and the guy who did the alignment did not care the wheel was crooked.
Any photos of the tie rod ends?

Does the steering wheel have the same turns from center to full left and full right?
If not the problem is definately in the steering linkage.
With the front tires straight the pitman arm on the steering box should be parallel with the frame rails of the car, it should point straight ahead, not offset to one side or the other.

If the tierods are off as much as you say I think your idea to move them back to center to get the wheel straight might work. Might be worth $50-$60 to have it aligned at a tire shop at that point, looks like its not as easy as jsut putting the steering wheel back on straight.

I wish I had my damn 75 pontiac service manual I put it in a box and forgot and now its friggin burried in storage
I'll try to get to it, if I can get to it this week I'll scan it for you.

Anyone have one handy?