View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh heck yeah! In fact, they even mentioned that in the movie when another car passes the '55. Dennis Wilson says they'd take him (that car) in a short run, but not on the top end. The '55 had a steep 4-series gear behind it, top end was probably around 120 mph.

I would love to have a studio do a retro movie today, perhaps using Woodward Ave. as a backdrop. If they could do a true period piece, with authentic cars, they could create a great script that would be interesting, and would show young people what it was like back in the days when street racing was more than just dodging in and out of cars, yakking on the cell phone, and shooting at each other with Glock 9mm's like they do now.

I mean, "Fast And Furious" worked, and appealed to young kids that drive imports. They really need to do a similar movie (but without all the crazy stunts) about the 60's street scene. There are enough guys out there that would volunteer their cars to be used, whether as a main vehicle, or one of the hundreds that would be driving up and down Woodward, from 4-door Impalas to old 61 Buicks, with GSX's and 66 Corvettes riding on 5-slot aluminum rims, and the occasional big hitters, the serious street racers that dropped money on races.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.