View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default part 21 T.J. the terror

let me remind you again that the reason i'm dumpin all this on ya'll is because the bad boys in the race section wanted to know what i'd ever done. i'm not a bragger, this is "just the facts ma'm". i don't have the coins for an 8 sec heads-up ride & at my age i would'nt want 1. but we did o.k. at bracket racing so here's more about it. from the very beginning of her 1st full season T.J. was a winner. she learned how to cut a good lite & the car was very consistant. & as the wins piled up the fangs began to come out on some of her competitors. they began to clamor "ilegal, tare it down, ain't no legal pontiac that quick". but it was probably closer to legal than most of them. not only were they furious when the pontiac beat 'em, when they saw T.J. get out of that pontiac, it was fuel on the fire. this is what caused some of the cussin, wrench throwin, rock slingin incidents i mentioned in an earilier post. back then i don't suppose anybody had ever heard of the butlers, or the kaufmans, or any of the other big boys out there now. all i remember back then was nunzi & h-o racing specialties. they were pontiac guys & sold all kinds of good parts. h-o also published a monthly newsletter with how-to articles, feature car stories & other pontiac news. T.J. was the featured car story in the july '75 issue. i'll dig 1 out & post it when i learn how. some people like to look at pictures of the old pontiac racers. i do too. that reminds me, i came across a picture of a white ss wagon that we saw at a race back in the '70's. the guys name was jack mullins. i don't know where he was from, but the race was in greenville miss. i remember jack pullin the wheels & snacthin the the gears. i was told that he set several national records & was responsible for many hp refactors by nhra for the 389 motor. any of you old timers out there remember jack. if ya do let me know.