View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Suspended

I installed a new blade last year because I stretched the old one. I didn't know you were supposed to hold the oiler down the entire time you're cutting--heat = stretching. I was just holding it down now and then. I also didn't realize you should sharpen your blade so often either. The new one was way out of shape already. I was whittling on an old stumps that are just high enough that I keep hitting with the mower decks and I struck Earth several times I'm sure. After it was dull, I went after some Poison Ivy on a huge Oak stump that's also a nuisance. I cut some off the stump to facilitate it rotting. It's been there 10 yrs now. There was a rock I hit and a lot of decaying wood in the stump (like soil) so the chain was nearly useless after that.

Once it's out of shape so badly, it's a chore to get it straightened back out. I hit each tooth with the file 10 times, then 10 more, then 6. Then I still had some out of shape. I'm sure I abused several in the process and lost my angle on a couple. I'm sure I was using too much pressure on the file, looking back.