View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTObsessed View Post
Bart,

Will that wheel size and combo fit a stock 64" I would like to do similar set up in the future. However, I don't have the budget for the suspension and brake upgrades right now. I see that you change the rear end. Is the new one shorter than the stock rear?

I need new tires and wheels. I like the sizes you have chosen and how the wheels fill up the wheel wells and eliminate the wheel gap. I would like to pick something that will allow the flexibility for the larger brakes and a future suspension upgrade.

Thank you,
The rear end in my Tempest is a later A-body rear that is 1" wider overall (1/2" per side) compared to the original '64 rear. The thickness of the rear disc brake rotors at the hub also adds a little more width, about 3/16" per side. I would also prefer that my rear wheels (6.57" backspacing) had about 1/8" less backspacing, they're a little tight to the inside so I may use a 1/8" spacer later on.

You would need to use 18x9" rear wheels with 5.75" of backspacing on a stock '64.

Up front I can't really say since the ATS spindles may put the front wheels in a slightly different location compared to stock spindles. Your best bet would be to buy the rear wheels and try to fit one in the front and check your clearances before you decide on a final size and backspacing.

It's not easy to find wheels with the exact backspacing you need in the style you want. My wheels were spec'd for the rear of a BMW Z4 roadster. They just happened to have backspacing that was very close to what I needed in a style and color that I liked, I found them only after some diligent searching on the Tire Rack website. Of course I had to change the lug pattern on the rear axles to BMW 120mm from the stock 120.65mm (4.75") and use a spacer/adapter in the front, but it did allow me to use the exact same wheels front and rear and have a full-size spare as well.