View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

J.C.:
Congrats on an awesome score! That 7041273 carb is mucho-rare. I have one on my 71 H.O./4-Speed/Ram Air car and love it.

Quoting from Cliff Ruggles' "How To Rebuild And Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors" book: In ranking the best Quadrajet carbs he says: " Following closely behind the large-CFM Pontiac Super Duty and 455 Buick carburetors would be the factory Pontiac 455 HO carburetors released in 1971. These were the only factory Quadrajets to not use the outer booster rings surrounding the main nozzles. They were not units that had the rings removed; they were actually special castings where the inner booster ring would extend downward nearly to the bottom of the casting. This was probably done to help improve nozzle efficiency lost from not using the outer rings. However these units proved to be very inefficient off idle and were discontinued after a single-year production run. As with the 1973 and 1974 Super Duty carbs, the 1971 HO carburetors were produced in very limited quantities and are highly coveted by restorers."

Hang on to that prize!!! Take a quick look at it and confirm it is sans the outer rings and you've got the real deal!

BJ