View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Step away from the pipe

QUOTE=rexs73gto;4890037]It took a bit but I just went through the entire file for the cabs & the only engine it shows for the carb you have given the numbers to are the 1970 Pontiac 455 Ram Air , which some call it a 70 455HO but it is listed as a 455 Ram Air in most books , but it is a 4 blot mian 455 for 1970 , which was the engine you got in late 70 when you blew up your 400 Ram Air IV engine. What they would do is tell you they replaced the bottom end with the 455 block & would just transfer the heads & you would have what would in 71, be called the 455HO but it would run a lot better because even with the longer stroke & bigger displacement the car would run great because the compression was up so you got really a better combo but you couldn't rev the 455 like the 400 but you didn't have to. It didn't happen very much & you would have to have the paper work to prove it was there because it was a replcment engine. I knew one that did get done that way but we did have one at the GTOAA show I think it was in 86-87 not sure the excact year but the guy had all the paper work to prove it & during one of the seminars we were told that was a normal pratice because of the lack of the Ram Air 4 blocks toward the end of the year.[/QUOTE]