Thread: q16 race
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesnt sound right ?

Probably a long shot but I hope an alternate never makes it to the final one year (stranger things have happened in racing LOL). I am sure your car is very capable and even a strong light can make a huge difference. You had as much chance as anyone else turning up to race that day

EG

I remember racing at our first Nationals with a new car, (first time with it at a proper track) we quallified last and expected to get spanked in the first round by a very dominant car in the class. On index I left first and belted out as good a run as I had. Approaching the stripe I expected the No1 qualifier to shoot past doing 30mph faster and take round 1 win. As the stripe got closer I was starting to wonder if I had pushed a little to far and lit the cherry and he backed out of the run.

A bit confused and frustrated I headed back down the return road to see my crew and a few of the oter racers jumping round and cheering. The other guy had lost an intercooler hose and ran a NA time that wasnt good enough. He was chasing me all the way down the track venting boost to try and get the round win.

We went a few rounds and made the semi's until we turned up the hook (getting to know the car a bit better) and left a couple of 1000 RPM higher than usual (manual trans car on a 2 step) trying to go another round.

Poped the clutch and the car didnt even move, sheared a 1350 u-joint, spicer pinion and the rear of the driveshaft flailed around for a few seconds under the back of the car punching holes in the tunnel and the start line (was like someone threw a grenade under the car !!) Our day was over, but just goes to show, sometimes it all adds up, the planets align and you get to go rounds no one thought you would