View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 PM

Modern baby/child seats mount to metal brackets hidden within the seats between the seat bottom and seat backs. Its some sort of latch standard, every car since about 2004 has them in most back seats. I measured the rear seats in my daily driver, this distance would fit 2nd gen seats. I've thought about making a bracket that would mount using the existing bolt holding the upper back seat to the rear body, with braces in either end that wrap under the seat cousin frames, then add "U" brackets like modern cars have to mount the seat latches to. When the kids are older I can just take this bracket out without leaving any holes in the car. Unfortunately I've been restoring my bird for over 3 years now, by the time I get her on the road next year my youngest will be 3 years old and I'll only need to do this for his seat.

The new child/infant seats we bought in the past 5 years only use the two mounting latches mentioned . the mounting point that is above and behind the seat is I believe for older infant car seats. The britax brand seat the recent prince of England has is the same infant seat I used for my children, it only uses those two lower mounting points. That seat will not fit regardless since it is rear facing. Forward facing seats are for children 1yr +. Forward facing seats will fit, and the good ones have 4 point harnesses.

The reality is you don't want to transport your children in a car this old when you don't have to. When you do, make it as safe as possible and remember its an old car. These old cars don't have the impact zones and reinforcements in the body like modern cars do.

I was born in 1976, we didn't have car seats like we do now, I rode in my moms lap or in a booster seat designed to allow me to see out of the car, i recall it didn't really work all that well with lap belts. Most folks didn't wear seat belts until it was a law 10 years later. Don't mean to make this sound scary, but thank god cars are safer now.

I can share my sketches if anyone wants to see what I have planned, if I didn't scare you completely from driving your bird with your children.