View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed View Post
I am with you as well I DID NOT know of that A on there.... WOW 60s Stuff you have good eyes!
I also have a red X on the firewall that is very easy to see , I will try to attach a picture.....

RAII 4-speed

I would wager that if you removed the regulator, you will find a second digit representing the upper body code. On the photos below, the A was faintly visible under the black firewall paint, and the second A (hardtop) was only visible when the regulator was removed, again under the black firewall paint.

In the first photo, the A is barely visible to the right (passenger) side of the three regulator retaining bolts. In the second photo, the A is barely visible inside and below the three regulator retaining bolts.

I have only noted the use of the "X" (also have noted the "O") on cars made in Fremont. Unlike most of the notations/markings/stamps used at the other three * plants, the X's or O's have been provided above the black firewall paint. I have only noted the X and O in white on the '64's, never in red (perhaps red oxide primer coming through). Yours is the first use of the X on a '65 that I have seen, although I'm not prone to study '65's to any great extent. There was some discussion on the use of the X and O last year, as well as should these markings be above or below the black firewall/panel paint.

* The Pontiac Plant used three rubber stampings on the firewall that was above the black firewall paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Firewall Markings 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	372825   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Firewall Markings 002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	372826  

Last edited by JAKE 64; 08-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.