View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The big question is, "Is it really a sprint, or is it a 1bbl engine with a 4bbl/dual exhaust intake bolted to it? $250 is the most I've paid for a carb to oil pan, complete with alternator, starter, etc, OHC engine, that were "runners" though both had wiped cams when I opened them up. The "sprint" engine I bought was simply a '66 230 engine with a '69 4bbl/dual exhaust manifold bolted to it (I also got a manual trans flywheel and F-body frame mounts too, so I wasn't too disappointed).

If it is a '67 it's a 230, so hit or miss on desirability. The BIG thing is, does it have a Sprint balancer or the 1bbl balancer? The balancer, if the correct 4bbl one may double the value of the entire package (or be all the value of the package...), though the 250 balancers are more desirable, the balancers are not interchangeable between the 230 and 250.

4bbl "E" cams are available by the aftermarket, so it doesn't hold a ton of value.

The head itself might be worth something to some one looking to gain compression. If they have a 250 engine a '67 1bbl head would be desirable, if a true '67 4bbl head then some 230 folk may be interested.

The manifolds together go for between $100 and $200 typically. They are semi-commonly found on the market, so prices vary a bit, could go as low as say $75. They are heavy to ship.

I'm ALWAYS leery of paying any decent money for an engine that doesn't spin easily, but I am also a cheap skate.

I have no clue on the transmission's value. If you have the bellhousing, like the actual
4bbl balancer, it can double the value of the entire package (or again, be all the value of the package). They are essentially one off bellhousings for the deep skirt block design and starter pockets. They don't pop up too often, I'd suggest using E-bay.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)